ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Setting up a business after entering the UK on 1A Stamp.

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

saalman

Setting up a business after entering the UK on 1A Stamp.

Post by saalman » Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:18 pm

I am a NON EEA family member of an EEA National (Belgian). My question is that if me and my wife enter the UK on a code 1A stamp, can my wife setup a company in the UK with me as a director or secretary, if yes, how do we get NI Number for both of us and if anyone can help us about how to make our Tax and Insurance contributions? Any help in this regard shall be appreciated.

Also to note, that we at this point in time do not intend to make an EEA1/EEA2 Applications. Can we carry out business operations without a RC. The nature of our business doesnt allow us to get our passport stuck for a while.

Any help in this regard shall be appreciated.

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:42 pm

In theory you do not require any documentation to be able to work or engage in business activities as you can use other means of proof. In practice you may find some obstacles along the way, opening bank accounts, travelling, etc.

Residence documentation can be applied for and passports returned while the application is being considered.

saalman

Post by saalman » Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:38 pm

EUsmileWEallsmile wrote:In theory you do not require any documentation to be able to work or engage in business activities as you can use other means of proof. In practice you may find some obstacles along the way, opening bank accounts, travelling, etc.

Residence documentation can be applied for and passports returned while the application is being considered.
Thanks for your reply, but does Code 1A stamp not allow a non eea family member to work, atleast till the validity of the stamp? Also I can apply for an EEA family permit to avoid obstacles in travelling every 6 months? Also for my wife, an EU citizen, will she also have troubles opening bank account.

My idea might seem silly to you but my case is a bit complicated in a sense that i run a factory in Pakistan with a small wholesale in Brussels and intend to start a small scale trading in the UK. This keeps me moving all around all the time.

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:24 pm

The right to work derives directly from the directive 2004/38/ec. The UK does not insist that Eu nationals / family members apply for residence documents. In that sense, there is no rush to apply.

Visa nationals such as yourself would benefit from a residence card.

Whist setting up business, bear in mind that it would be possible to apply as a self-sufficient person.

saalman

Post by saalman » Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:48 am

Thanks again for the informative response, there are a few more things i need to ask

1-
The UK does not insist that Eu nationals / family members apply for residence documents. In that sense, there is no rush to apply.
Does that mean that EEA FP is sufficient to carry out business operations and once it expires, we may travel out of the UK to reapply as it takes less time to be issued than the RC and also we can just go out of UK and re enter asking for Stamp Code 1A? (I know as a family member i am not an overstayer even if it expires, but this is to avoid obstacles dealing with banks and so on)

2- Can you please let me know about how do we get an NI number once in the UK on EEA FP?

3-
Whist setting up business, bear in mind that it would be possible to apply as a self-sufficient person
Can you refer me a thread where applying as self sufficient is discussed?

Regards.

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Sat Oct 05, 2013 1:09 pm

1. EEA FP or Code 1A is enough to carry business activities (strictly speaking you don't even need those ). They should be enough to get a NI number. Not sure about banks. They might be funny sometimes but you should be able to find one that accept those.
Please note that code 1A is a single entry stamp. If you plan to travel frequently, you might find it annoying being checked every time in the port (I assume you will be crossing by ferry as without a EEA FP you won't be able to board a flight to the UK (I assume you are Pakistani)).

2. Apply via Jobcentre. Just google it. The process is simple.

3. If your partner is setting up a business in the UK, she will be self employed. Otherwise she can be self sufficient (living off savings or other source of income). In that case, you will need to show savings or income (bank statements for example) and to hold a private health insurance to cover both of you.

saalman

Post by saalman » Sat Oct 05, 2013 2:48 pm

Thanks Jambo, Is there a pre set amount one should have to apply as a self-sufficient person?

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:30 pm

saalman wrote:Thanks Jambo, Is there a pre set amount one should have to apply as a self-sufficient person?
No. Just enough not to require public funds.
A couple living in North Wales with no mortgage will not need as much as a family of 4 renting in central London.

saalman

Post by saalman » Sat Oct 05, 2013 4:48 pm

Also are we not entitled to NHS as a self employed or do we have to buy a Health insurance in any case?

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:23 pm

saalman wrote:Also are we not entitled to NHS as a self employed or do we have to buy a Health insurance in any case?
Self employed or self sufficient ? Self employed don't need health insurance. Self sufficient do need.

In any case, the insurance is to satisfy the HO. It has nothing to do with your entitlement to NHS care which every resident in the UK has.

saalman

Post by saalman » Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:59 pm

In any case, the insurance is to satisfy the HO. It has nothing to do with your entitlement to NHS care which every resident in the UK has.
Thanks for the reply Jambo,
NHS is not health insurance in itself? Sorry if i sound silly, but i am confused what is the difference between private health insurance and NHS?

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:27 pm

No, HHS is not a substitute for health insurance as things stand.

saalman

Post by saalman » Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:44 pm

EUsmileWEallsmile wrote:No, HHS is not a substitute for health insurance as things stand.
Thanks for the information EUsmileWEallsmile. Can you refer me to a thread where i can get some info regarding applying as self sufficient?

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:05 pm

saalman

Post by saalman » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:45 pm

EUsmileWEallsmile wrote:See UKBA website - EEA2 form.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... /eea21.pdf

Thanks once again EUsmileWEallsmile, apparently! it doesn't seem a problem, applying as a self employed, i have a lots of customers in the UK, so providing Invoices, Accountants letter and Bank Statements doesnt seem to be a problem. Is that all that they check ?