ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

OCI London Experience

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

AmitP
Newly Registered

OCI London Experience

Post by AmitP » Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:51 pm

After three visits (and three rejections) to apply for OCI to HCI London within 10 days I have come to the following conclusions:

1. Contrary to what a lot of people say, the staff are actually good. They have a difficult job of enforcing illogical and meaningless rules which they have no control over. They deserve some credit. Depsite three rejections - they did try and help and did try to be as flexible as possible, but I just didnt have the documents they needed. Despite my frustration, I cant blame them.

2. Don't bother going if you dont have the correct documents. I saw a lot of people who didnt have the correct documents and went armed with piles of other papers, hoping to convince the staff of their status. Its pointless, even if the staff wanted to, they cannot change the rules.

3. Do your research online - and follow the guidelines to the letter. I discovered that they do not consider an Executive magistrate to be equivalent to a District Magistrate. There is no point trying to argue the point. For some reason the stamp of one can be trusted while the stamp of the other cannot. (If anyone can figure that out, then please let me know).

4. If you are still in any doubt on the day, print off a couple of copies of the application form and then ask for help from people in the queue. Everyone was very friendly and helpful and most had been there a few times already so they will know what they are talking about.

5. If you are rejected, then make sure you ask why and also ask if all of your other documents are in order. The staff will answer your questions - but they will not provide all of the information if you dont ask. They have a large queue to handle.

6. If you have a birth certificate in Hindi / gujarati, etc - take a certified translation. You will need both.

7. Most of you will need some sort of affadavit of one type or another. So please check or you will be sent away to get one. On this note I must give a mention to Mr Hari Singh of HS Law in Southall. He was a true gent and very helpful. (and the cheapest notary around - only £30 unlike all the rest who charge £50).

8. Finally, if you do have complaints, then email the minister - cooridination. email: min.coord@hcilondon.in
I suspect that he is the one who we need to get through to about some of the frustrating and trivial rules such as they accept a British birth certificate without any certification whatsoever, but not an Indian one! And a letter from the Home Office stating that they have sent your passport to the Indian Embassy is no good either (even though 20 years ago the Indian Embassy didnt provide surrender certificates) - because its not an Indian Govt document...yes really.

At some point I will have to go for a fourth time - but I hope my current experiences will help you in some way.