ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Impact of Redundancy on citizenship application

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

bm
Newly Registered

Impact of Redundancy on citizenship application

Post by bm » Tue Aug 10, 2004 12:26 pm

Hi,

I got my ILR in Jan 04.
I have been made redundant in July 04.
I am aiming to apply for citizenship in Jan 05 and am wondering whether applying for unemployment benefits now :? could impact on my chances.

Could you help me please ?

Many thanks

Binesh

Epiphany
Newly Registered

Post by Epiphany » Tue Aug 10, 2004 2:44 pm

You would be fine. The citizenship application doesn't ask you if you've claimed any benefits. You'd only need to provide your NI details and so on. Plus you are well within your rights to claim unemployment benefits as an ILR holder

AtW

Post by AtW » Tue Aug 10, 2004 11:01 pm

Does one have to be employed in order to apply for naturalisation? Lets say hypothetically speaking person is self-employed in business that is yet to generate returns, that person does not claim any benefits etc. Sufficient funds to continue business dev etc. From what I have seen naturalisation app does not seem to care about earnings so much as it is proven that there are no issues with Inland Revenue.

Am I correct?

Epiphany
Newly Registered

Post by Epiphany » Tue Aug 10, 2004 11:10 pm

ATW,
No, there is no stipulation that you have to be employed to apply for naturalisation. As you've pointed out, as long your IR affairs are in order and one has no criminal history, it is going to be fine.
Cheers