ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

SET(M) Questions

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Benherron
Newly Registered

SET(M) Questions

Post by Benherron » Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:29 pm

My unmarried partner from New Zealand has just passed her 'life in the uk test' and has just tried to book an appointment within her visa expiry date.

The earliest one available was 5 days after her visa expires (set M) could anyone give any advise on what effect this will have on her application?

As I need my passport back for December postal application was/is not viable.

Many thanks
Ben

Lucapooka
Respected Guru

Post by Lucapooka » Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:33 pm

No. Find another PEO (the UK is a small country to travel around!) or apply by post before her leave expires.

Benherron
Newly Registered

Post by Benherron » Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:43 pm

So to clarify her/our only option is to cancel the appointment she has and to travel to Belfast from England get to a PEO within time? (As no other PEO has appointments)

As stated postal is not possible.

Benherron
Newly Registered

Post by Benherron » Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:48 pm

Would this not apply?

Indefinite leave
The applicant must meet the following requirements:
Applicants must not be in breach of immigration laws,
except for any period of overstaying:
o for 28 days or less, or
o if the application was submitted before 9 July 2012
which will be disregarded.

If somebody overstayed more than 28 days let say 40 days before 9 July 2012 then will it be acceptable under above writing in last sentence.

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:00 am

Use the Settlement Checking Service (click), before the leave expires and you can keep all documents including passports, it's also much cheaper than a peo.

You should always apply before leave expires, but I would expect a peo would likely take the case given than SET(M) doesn't require extant leave and the 28 day window but the SCS is cheaper.
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

vinny

Post by vinny » Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:57 am

Note that being an overstayer has unfortunate consequences.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

TheGreenTea

Post by TheGreenTea » Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:20 am

From my own personal experience:
I have overstayed by 3 days and my ILR application was rejected, as i broke the continence rules!
I would advice either going to Belfast or apply postal (what is so important to have documents in Dec?) or risk being told that the 5 years you spent in the UK doesn't count anymore (which is what i have been told essentially).

Benherron
Newly Registered

Post by Benherron » Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:55 pm

Thank to all for the advise, we've booked an appointment for Belfast for the earliest available appointment which is the day before her visa expires. She rang the Croydon branch and was advised to do the same.

Many thanks
Ben.

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:59 pm

Benherron wrote:Just a quick one hopefully.

Can someone confirm if a PEO appointment/application fee has already been paid online (which it asks to before you can book and has been taken from bank account, in our case £1426), do you leave out/ignore the payment details page at the beginning of the application asking for card details again?

Many thanks
Ben
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:59 pm

Yes, just take the World Pay receipt to the appointment.