ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EEA family permit - refused GP registration

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Elizabeth06

EEA family permit - refused GP registration

Post by Elizabeth06 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:42 pm

Hello,

My husband has an EEA family permit and is living with me here in the UK.

Today we went to my GP to register him there, and he was refused because the family permit expiry date is within 6 months. They said that under the law they couldn't accept anyone who holds a visa with an expiry within the next 6 months. I explained the EEA permit, and that the residence card takes up to 6 months or more to process, and they told me to come back when we had that or go private.

After, I rang the main NHS line, and they confirmed that he could register on the NHS, and that I had two options:

1. To bring into my GP something printed from an official website outlining that an EEA family permit holder is entitled to register, and is an exception to the 6 month expiry date rule. They could not direct me to any information themselves but they were aware of his entitlement.

2. They will send a form for him to complete which compels the GP to take him as a patient. The advisor advised that this process can take some time, and to try option 1 first.

I've been searching online, but I cannot find anything in print that states his right to register on the NHS, can anyone help me out with a link to the correct information?

We also went to my bank today to find out about a bank account, and they said that based on the documents we can provide, they can't open an account for him either, or allow my account to become a joint account. They refused our tenancy agreement as proof of address because it's through a private landlord, and our utilities are on a meter set up by the landlord. Does anyone have any advice that could help us with either problem?

Thankyou!! :-)

askmeplz82
Diamond Member

Re: EEA family permit - refused GP registration

Post by askmeplz82 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:45 pm

Not all the GP same

if one refused try another.

Proof of address: 1. apply for provisional driving license cost £50 i think

2. hsbc passport account ; all you need is passport
UK Student Visa : 04/2004 - 09/2009
EEA Residence Card : 07/2010 - 7/2015
EU Settled Status: Confirmed on 16th July 2019
Naturalisation : Confirmed on 02nd Oct 2020
Passport Approval : 21st Feb 2021

askmeplz82
Diamond Member

Post by askmeplz82 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:48 pm

Not all the GP same

if one refused try another.
UK Student Visa : 04/2004 - 09/2009
EEA Residence Card : 07/2010 - 7/2015
EU Settled Status: Confirmed on 16th July 2019
Naturalisation : Confirmed on 02nd Oct 2020
Passport Approval : 21st Feb 2021

sheraz7
Respected Guru

Post by sheraz7 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:58 pm

You should search another GP within your area and then complain against the one who refused. For proof of address to open account the easeist options can be DVLA provisonal driving license/TV license/national insurance number notification letter etc (if it is within 3 months).
Please donot send PM. Write in open forum to facilitate others too.
REGARDS

Nimitta
Member of Standing

Post by Nimitta » Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:10 pm

The simplest way to avoid problems with registrations at NHS or banks is getting a UK DV. At least, it is my experience
Mean what you say, say what you mean

Elizabeth06

Post by Elizabeth06 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:50 pm

Thanks everyone. :-)
sheraz7 wrote:You should search another GP within your area and then complain against the one who refused. For proof of address to open account the easeist options can be DVLA provisonal driving license/TV license/national insurance number notification letter etc (if it is within 3 months).
I have the form for a UK driving licence here already because he wants to get his licence and it says that to apply for the licence you must have been ordinarily resident in the UK for the last 185 days, which he has not been. It's the same form for provisional and full licences. Maybe I could ring them to see if there is any way around that.

Also, the bank said they would not accept the national insurance card or related documents, and they said the utility bill must be gas/electric or water, even though he has a passport, valid visa and a tenancy agreement (though they will only accept ones issued by a recognised estate agent, so they wouldn't accept ours from a private landlord).

They make everything very difficult!!

gismanchester

driving

Post by gismanchester » Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:31 pm

DVLA will not make Provisional Driving Lec if you leave to remain or card or visa is less then 6 months

also try Lloyds Bank, they will open your bank account if some one give reference for you, who had already Lloyd account for more than 3 years.

also for prove of ur address, just ring ur water or gas company and ask them to add ur spouse name and send a bill.

and for GP try some other as mention above all GP are not Same.

also you can register your spouse vote by filling the form and send it to local council and the will write you a letter about your name register in elc register, so u can use that for prof of address.

https://www.aboutmyvote.co.uk/register_ ... plica.aspx

swordfish
Bangladesh

Post by swordfish » Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:44 pm

i also had similar prob. though i had prof of add from NI and bank, the lady simply refused to register as in FP its mentioned my visa going to expire in 6 month?! after that i didnt bother. i will try after whn i will get COA.

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:28 pm

Elizabeth06 wrote:Hello,

My husband has an EEA family permit and is living with me here in the UK.

Today we went to my GP to register him there, and he was refused because the family permit expiry date is within 6 months. They said that under the law they couldn't accept anyone who holds a visa with an expiry within the next 6 months. I explained the EEA permit, and that the residence card takes up to 6 months or more to process, and they told me to come back when we had that or go private.

After, I rang the main NHS line, and they confirmed that he could register on the NHS, and that I had two options:

1. To bring into my GP something printed from an official website outlining that an EEA family permit holder is entitled to register, and is an exception to the 6 month expiry date rule. They could not direct me to any information themselves but they were aware of his entitlement.

2. They will send a form for him to complete which compels the GP to take him as a patient. The advisor advised that this process can take some time, and to try option 1 first.

I've been searching online, but I cannot find anything in print that states his right to register on the NHS, can anyone help me out with a link to the correct information?

We also went to my bank today to find out about a bank account, and they said that based on the documents we can provide, they can't open an account for him either, or allow my account to become a joint account. They refused our tenancy agreement as proof of address because it's through a private landlord, and our utilities are on a meter set up by the landlord. Does anyone have any advice that could help us with either problem?

Thankyou!! :-)
I suspect your situation is not unique. It is likely to get worse for people with the new immigration bill that's proposed.

Elizabeth06

Post by Elizabeth06 » Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:24 pm

Thanks again everyone, going to follow up on a few of the suggestions :-)

I got a form in the post today from the NHS (contracter services department), who I found out you can contact if you are living in the UK, entitled to register, but being refused by GP's for whatever reason. They can allocate you a GP from their end. So fingers crossed this will sort out the GP issue. For anyone else in the same situation, this looks like the way to go.

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:34 pm

Elizabeth06 wrote:Thanks again everyone, going to follow up on a few of the suggestions :-)

I got a form in the post today from the NHS (contracter services department), who I found out you can contact if you are living in the UK, entitled to register, but being refused by GP's for whatever reason. They can allocate you a GP from their end. So fingers crossed this will sort out the GP issue. For anyone else in the same situation, this looks like the way to go.
It is all about knowing your rights and not taking no for an answer.

Elizabeth06

Post by Elizabeth06 » Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:26 pm

EUsmileWEallsmile wrote:
It is all about knowing your rights and not taking no for an answer.
Definitely!

Elizabeth06

Post by Elizabeth06 » Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:50 pm

Just an update for anyone who might find themselves with the same problem registering with a GP, contacting the NHS direct by phone asking for the 'contractor services department' fixed the problem. They sent me a form, I sent it back with the reason the GP staff refused registration on the desk (6 month expiry on family permit), they contacted the doctors, and the doctors contacted me and asked us to come back in and complete registration. All resolved. :-)

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:57 pm

It can be difficult dealing with staff who are used to dealing with the 'normal'. Persistence pays off.

obormot
Member of Standing
France

Post by obormot » Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:47 pm

They are unpredictable idiots indeed..
A couple of weeks ago I had to bring a child for urgent visit (we were not registered with that GP practice yet). I filled the forms, the lady at the reception looked at it and said "Oh, but he was born in the USA (!) - so he is not entitled to use NHS, he has to be a private patient". It took me 15 minutes and talking to two supervisors to shut her off. (We all have French passports, both parents are working in UK full time for last 6 months, we bought a house, and have all proofs of everything they might be dreaming of asking).
On the other hand today i registered my mother at the same place, and they only glanced at her (Russian) passport (no visa checking, no COA checking, no proof of address required, "no nothing")

vinny

Post by vinny » Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:39 pm

They must have learnt their lesson from their previous experience with you.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

giorgosa
Greece

Post by giorgosa » Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:25 am

Last evening I registered my wife with EEA family permit and turkish passport (and tenancy agreement as proof of address).

no questions and no problems. I told that I am already registered at the same GP and that was all :)