ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Degree Taught in English

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Degree Taught in English

Post by 2014 » Sat Oct 12, 2013 4:26 pm

Dear All,

As you know from 28th Oct 2013, English language requirement has been added. I have earned my professional degree long back from one of India's renowned institute.
I have also taken certificate from my university that my degree was taught in English. This certificate was issued 4 years ago.
Can someone answer, this certificate still hold good or do I have to obtain a fresh certificate from university.

Is there a timeline for this certificate. It has to be very recently issued or old one is alright?

Thanks in advance.

Post by 2014 » Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:08 am

Any answer please?

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:48 am

**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:53 pm

2014 wrote:Hi
I am summarizing requirement as per section 8 of AN Booklet for KOLL
Now there are three requirements for KOLL for people who wish to use their degree as English tool.
1. Passed the Life in the UK test; AND
2. Obtained an academic qualification deemed by UK NARIC to meet the recognised standard of a Bachelor’s degree in the United Kingdom AND
3. UK NARIC has confirmed that the qualification was taught in English

I am meeting first two criteria however third criteria is difficult to meet. I have graduated from University of Pune, India. Can someone confirm they have taken UK NARIC certificate stating degree was taught in English?
I will be thankful.
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:55 pm

If it's a Bachelors degree the English Language Assessment should prove it was taught in English even if not at C1 level. However, UKNARIC appear to not confirm postgraduate overseas degrees.

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:56 pm

2014 wrote:I have just visited NARIC website to undetstand the process of application for English Language Assesment.
They have mentioned following requirements:

To use the online application, you should follow these steps:

1.Complete the online application form
2.Print your completed application form
3.Send by post or fax to UK NARIC a copy of your application form together with the following:
•a covering letter with your contact details and stating the purpose of your enquiry
•a photocopy of your certificate(s) together with final transcript(s)
•a photocopy of a certified translation in English if necessary
•payment for the service
•there is no need to send us a self-addressed envelope; a postage option is provided within the check-out process.

If you are applying for an English Language Assessment, in addition to the above we require the following:

a photocopy of your English test certificate(s) OR evidence of the medium of instruction of your study

How I can get the document for last requirement?

HSMPLOCHA

Post by HSMPLOCHA » Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:15 pm

[quote="D4109125"][quote="[url=http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewtopic.php?t=149537]2014[/url]"]I have just visited NARIC website to undetstand the process of application for English
[b]a photocopy of your English test certificate(s) OR evidence of the medium of instruction of your study [/b]
How I can get the document for last requirement?[/quote][/quote]

You just need to send them the transcripts and deg certificate and they will send you ela. I did tht for my application of my wife to naric.

teekay125

Post by teekay125 » Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:18 pm

HSMPLOCHA wrote: You just need to send them the transcripts and deg certificate and they will send you ela. I did tht for my application of my wife to naric.
Hi, could you please comment on this - is 'University of Delhi BA Degree with English as a subject and Statement of Marks enough for NARIC to issue an ELA certificate?

Is Statement of Marks same as Transcript or is it some other document? TIA!

zeevirgo

Re: Degree Taught in English

Post by zeevirgo » Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:01 pm

any one got a sample letter issued by university stating Master degree ws taught in english ?

and is this letter enough for NAric ?

thanks
ZIC

libra86
Newly Registered

Post by libra86 » Sat Apr 26, 2014 5:23 pm

Beware all overseas degree holders....if you do not get any points for English language on the Home Office points based system calculator, then UK NARIC will NOT issue you with an English Language Assessment that certifies that your degree meets the requirements of CEFR level C1. You will be better off giving your £55 to charity.

I had all the evidence UK NARIC had asked for which includes the following:

1. Letter from my university that stated that the medium for instructions in my university is English and that all my modules were taught in English;
2. My transcript that showed all the modules that I studied including English Language core modules;
3. My original degree certificate; and
4. A very well written cover letter

UK NARIC took one month and then sent me a letter stating that "although it is confirmed that my degree was taught in English, there is not enough evidence to show that it meets the requirements of CEFR level C1.

You will be much better off taking an approved English lanugage test rather than wasting your time, effort and money with UK NARIC. They are running a money making scam (a charade!). I'm posting this here for the benefit of all those who need to satisfy this English language requirement as I learnt the hard way. DON'T GO TO UK NARIC.

pawant
Newly Registered

Post by pawant » Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:29 am

Hi, I am very confused regarding the KOL requirement for naturalisation.

I have a Bachelors Degree in English Literature from Delhi University and I do get extra 10 point in PBS for Language Skills. I called NARIC and they informed me I would need a certificate from university to confirm that my degree in English was taught in English (ridiculous!)

Q1. If I submit PBS sheet, degree certificate and mark sheet would this satisfy my English Language requirement?
Q2. Regarding PBS sheet do you simply complete the form assuming you are applying for Tier 1 visa or can you submit previous PBS sheet?
Q3. Is it advisable to go through the NCS service? Do I have to pay for the service and Naturalisation Fee before they start checking the documents?

Below is the details on home office website, it seems to be straight forward but more you read other threads on this forum more complicated it gets.

Degrees taught or researched in English

You’ll need to prove your degree was both:
taught or researched in English
confirmed by UK NARIC as the equivalent of a bachelor’s, master’s or PhD degree in the UK

You’ll need your original degree certificate and one of the following:

a printout from the points-based calculator with the equivalent level of your degree and the level of English
an original letter or certificate from UK NARIC confirming the equivalent level of your degree, plus an official letter from your university with your name and degree confirming that your degree was taught in English
an original and official certificate from your university confirming the degree was taught or researched in a majority English-speaking country (except Canada)