ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

New English Language Requirements

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

nawaz

New English Language Requirements

Post by nawaz » Sun Oct 13, 2013 3:12 pm

Dear all,

I have a query regarding the new english language requirements that will come into force on Oct 28th.

I came to UK in Nov 2008 on work permit and later had to switch to Tier 2 (General) for which I sent my Australian Doctorate degree to fulfil english language requirements. This degree appears in online PBC and assigns me 10 points. It was accepted and I was given the Tier 2 (General) visa without any issues. In later extensions, I ticked the option that english language requirements already satisfied in previous applications and did not have any issues for extensions.

Now my question is that for ILR, I will take the life in UK test but do I have to take the UK NARIC certificate as well for my degree to satisfy the new requirements? Or can I just show my degree and since it has been enough to satisfy the english language requirements before, it will be enough?

I have no problem in getting the UK NARIC comparability certificate, the only issue is that it will take further time and delay my ILR.

I must add I am the main applicant. My wife has a valid IELTS test certificate to prove her eligibility.

Would really appreciate any clarifications on this and links to UKBA documentation will be really helpful. Thanks.

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Sun Oct 13, 2013 4:10 pm

As you satisfied a English Language requirement presumably B1 when you applied for EC that should suffice. You could of course, apply for the NARIC statement of comparability just in case it is requested. Assuming you are not Australian?
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

nawaz

Post by nawaz » Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:43 pm

No I am not an Australian.

I found this document,
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... t-koll.pdf

and I quote from page 5,
So, for example, a person applying for settlement as a Tier 2 (General) migrant who has already demonstrated a knowledge of English equivalent to B1 level in order to qualify for entry clearance, will not have to take a further test at settlement stage.
But now the question is that how to know if the degree was deemed equivalent to B1 level at the time of entry clearance?

The English language requirements for Tier 2 only asks for the original certificate of the degree taught in English. UK NARIC comparability is required only if the degree is not from a majority English speaking country and is not listed on PBC.