ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

GNIB registration help!

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

MaryMack123
Newly Registered

GNIB registration help!

Post by MaryMack123 » Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:17 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm a US citizen studying in Ireland for one semester. Upon my arrival in Ireland, I received a 90 day stamp in my passport. However, I will only be staying in the country a bit over two weeks after those 90 days expire, before returning to the US. I know when registering with the GNIB you need to pay 300 euro, which is hard for me to afford since I'm a student. Is it necessary in my situation to register with the GNIB? What happens if I don't? Will I get into trouble/not be allowed on my flight when it's time for me to return home to the US? Thanks guys! I really appreciate the help.

aalazzani

Post by aalazzani » Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:36 am

My sincere reply is go to registration office and ask them the question explaining the circumstances and they will tell you what to do. At the end they would not force you to register that day or pay 300 as you are there to ask a question rather than to do the registration.

Actually it happened to me once that we went to register my wife and there was around 4 weeks remaining until I register, so they just stamped my wife's passport with registration stamp and charged us nothing for that given the short time until next registration.

So in short there is a chance that they will not charge you.

Regarding boarding plane, no one check your registration when you leave the country but it is nice to stay legal.

Good luck.

CalvinKlien
Mood:
Ireland

Post by CalvinKlien » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:40 am

If you do not require a GNIB card, you don't have to pay. The immigration officer will only stamp your passport with the visa and will not give you GNIB card and i don't think you need that any way.

But if u need a GNIB card you will have to pay. But i don't see a reason why would u like to pay 300 Euros just for two weeks.
Good Luck

zaza7625
Member of Standing
Georgia

Post by zaza7625 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:02 am

CalvinKlien wrote:If you do not require a GNIB card, you don't have to pay. The immigration officer will only stamp your passport with the visa and will not give you GNIB card and i don't think you need that any way.

But if u need a GNIB card you will have to pay. But i don't see a reason why would u like to pay 300 Euros just for two weeks.
Good Luck
Hi.
I just confused as when I have to pay 300 euros? when 6 month temporary card will be issued the day of application or after 6 month when I get my GNIB card?

Thanks

CalvinKlien
Mood:
Ireland

Post by CalvinKlien » Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:27 am

@ zaza7625 please ask ur question clearly, what do u mean by the above question ?

dalebutt

Post by dalebutt » Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:51 am

Zaza7625 spouses of EU citizens do not have to pay for gnib cards, you will do yourself a lot of good by visiting citizensinformation.ie/ to learn about basic things with regards your right to live in Ireland.