ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Eligibility for 10Yr long residence

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

igiosan
Newly Registered
New Zealand

Eligibility for 10Yr long residence

Post by igiosan » Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:18 pm

Hello All,

I've got a question regarding my eligibility for ILR under the 10yr long residence rule.

I moved to the UK in 2006 as a student and applied for PSW (which was refused because of a dip in maintenance funds) in March 2009. Whilst my application was under consideration at the HO, I had maintained the appropriate funds to re-apply from overseas. Following the refusal of my initial PSW application, I travelled back to my home country (within 28 days of receiving the refusal notice) to re-apply for the same visa which was approved. I immediately returned to the UK and in all was out of the country for about 20 days.

My question is, does this reset the clock as far as the 10yr rule is concerned or would I be eligible to apply for ILR in 2016 under the provisions of this rule?

Manka10

Post by Manka10 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:33 pm

continuous residence is broken since you did not have a valid leave to remain in UK when you left
Manka

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:36 pm

Lawful residence may not be broken, see page 17.
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

Manka10

Post by Manka10 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:54 pm

as per the rules countinuous residence is broken, however, discretion can be exercised in pretty much any case if there are grounds for leniency
Manka

igiosan
Newly Registered
New Zealand

Post by igiosan » Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:04 am

Thank you for your replies Manka10 & D4109125.

D4109125, what do you mean when you say 'Lawful residence may not be broken'? would you be kind to give more details please?

bindusharath
Newly Registered

A query regarding ILR

Post by bindusharath » Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:14 pm

Hi everyone,

I entered UK in October 2006 as a student and currently on a dependent visa where my wife is the main applicant and is on tier-4 student visa. I know that to apply for ILR one should not be out of the country for more than 6 months. I had been to my home country in September 2010 and came back on June 8th and during this stay I had a valid visa(PSW). Does this break the 10 year count? I have a valid medical reason. Can it be considered during the application If I provide correct medical exemption?............

Please post if anyone know what would be the outcome in this case.....

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:50 pm

Read the linkat page 17.
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.