ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Naturalisation and British passport

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

km25

Naturalisation and British passport

Post by km25 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:55 pm

Hi,
Can someone please clarify this please. At what stage do we have to surrender the previous passport/nationalityf you are applying for British passport.

I hold Indian passport and need to apply for a British one. I guess I have to submit my naturalisation application first and then submit the Indian passport after I get approval..

Can someone please clarify or point me to the right thread please.

Apologies in advance if this question has been asked before or if the answers are obvious but the reason I'm asking is because I couldn't find it easily and being sleep deprived I trust that someone will guide me correctly.

Thanks in advance..

VR

I am trying to compile a start to finish process for this

Post by VR » Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:23 pm

KM25,

If you have been called for a swearing in prepare for the same. All you need is the Invitation and your current Indian Passport .

They will give you the the Certificate of Naturalisation on the day your ceremony is held .
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now you need to go to the Postoffice that offers Passport check and send service and collect a form.

Have Passport Photographs ready.
Complete the form in Black Ink.
Make sure you stick within the boxes especially the signatures.
Now in Sec 10 you will need a counter signatory. Who will fill out his details and also sign the back of one of the photographs as a true likeliness of you.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have the above passport form ready, you can go straight to the post office from the Ceremony and send your application through.

You will be sending the completed application and Original Current Passport and the Original Certificate of Naturalisation.

* On the way to submitting your Application *

Make sure you take a photocopy of the Certificate of Naturalisation.
Also Make sure you collect the Invitation to the Ceremony which they will ask when they register you for the ceremony and keep this for your record.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have filled out your passport application before hand, make sure to add the Certificate of Naturalisation details in the form.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You can then submit the application at the post office and pay the fees by cash/debit/credit card. The details of the fees will vary on the size of the passport and the services you want.
For a 48page passport 94.25 including Check and Send fees
Plus if you want the documents returned securely, check that box on the form and add GBP3 for this service.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SURRENDER OF INDIAN PASSPORT
----------------------------------------
After you get your British Passport you can apply for the surrender of your indian passport.
I have posted another link with all the details.
You download the form.
Go to a VFS centre.
Provide copies of your Naturalisation Certificate, British Passport and Indian Passport along with the required fees.
Once you get your Surrender Certificate back you can plan your OCI
The links are there in my other post.
cheers
vr