ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

English language requirement and name mismatch in degree

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

simonsays
Newly Registered

English language requirement and name mismatch in degree

Post by simonsays » Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:52 am

Hello,

My wife is due to apply for naturalization in December. I understand the rules have been changed from 28th October 2013 and she now got to show her capability to communicate in English.
She is an Engineer with a Bachelors of Engineering degree from an Indian University. The medium of instruction in her college for her course was English. So to prove her English abilities, can she send her degree to NARIC to get it verified and mapped onto an equivalent degree in the UK. Will that be acceptable to show she is proficient in English to the acceptable degree?
Also, her name in the passport is <name> <surname>, whereas her name in the degree and throughout school and college has been just <name>.. i.e. just the name without the surname. Will this degree be acceptable in this case?
Awaiting your reply.

regards,
Sandeep

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:31 pm

The degree must be comparable to a UK degree and taught in English, both of which should be deemed by NARIC. This suggests a Statement of Comparability and English Language Assessment.

You can also contact UKNARIC on 01242 258621 and ask them whether both documents are required.
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

simonsays
Newly Registered

Post by simonsays » Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:19 pm

yes that is good.. Thank you..
But her name in the degree and the passport do not match..
in the degree certificate, its just the name and in the passport its name and surname.. Will it be ok? or she will have to give an English test?

simonsays
Newly Registered

Post by simonsays » Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:17 am

Another update... She had requested her college to give a letter saying that She has passed the Engineering degree from so as so university and the medium of instruction for the degree is English.. So she has now got that letter and in that letter the name is the full name.. as in passport.. I hope this should help the case...

I just to confirm that if we apply through NCS, can we travel outside Uk the next day? I guess NCS takes the photocopies of the documents needed and so all the originals and the passport stays with us.. SO I guess we can travel the next day. Just wanted to confirm if that indeed is the case.

regards

tipu20

Post by tipu20 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:52 am

there is a risk in traveling next day and it's clear in NCS instructions.

For applying BC you must be physically present in the UK. NCS will send the application to HO and most probably it will be next working day . If you have already traveled outside of the UK then your application is considered invalid.

recommendation from NCS is not to travel with in 3-4 working days of applying.

There is also a catch that you must have been physically present in the UK on the first day of your qualification period e.g if are applying on 1 JAN 2015 , then on 1 JAN 2010 you must have been in UK physically.

Hope above helps.

Tipu

simonsays wrote:Another update... She had requested her college to give a letter saying that She has passed the Engineering degree from so as so university and the medium of instruction for the degree is English.. So she has now got that letter and in that letter the name is the full name.. as in passport.. I hope this should help the case...

I just to confirm that if we apply through NCS, can we travel outside Uk the next day? I guess NCS takes the photocopies of the documents needed and so all the originals and the passport stays with us.. SO I guess we can travel the next day. Just wanted to confirm if that indeed is the case.

regards

chopchak
Newly Registered

Post by chopchak » Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:36 pm

Hello D4109125 & Other respected Members

I have the similar issue, My wife is getting 10 Points on PBS calculator but her name on the degree is different from what is there on the passport(Name in the passport is <name> <surname>, whereas her name in the degree and throughout school and college has been just <name>.. i.e. just the name without the surname)

Will the degree certificate be acceptable in this case?

Ayyubi72
- thin ice -

Post by Ayyubi72 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:42 pm

A name is the main thing that ties a document to a person. If the name on a document does not match, then it should not be accepted.

chopchak
Newly Registered

Post by chopchak » Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:08 am

Thanks for your reply

The name on the degree is the name before marriage without her surname on it.

She got her passport after marriage with surname on it. We also have marrige certificate with surname on it.

Not sure if HO would accept the degree without the surname. Please advise what needs to be done in this case.

Ayyubi72
- thin ice -

Post by Ayyubi72 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:02 pm

Any documents that show the link between her maiden name and name after marriage would do the job.

A full birth certificate and/or some credible documents/ids issued before she adopted her current surname should do the job.

libra86
Newly Registered

Re: English language requirement and name mismatch in degree

Post by libra86 » Sat Apr 26, 2014 5:26 pm

Beware all overseas degree holders....if you do not get any points for English language on the Home Office points based system calculator, then UK NARIC will NOT issue you with an English Language Assessment that certifies that your degree meets the requirements of CEFR level C1. You will be better off giving your £55 to charity.

I had all the evidence UK NARIC had asked for which includes the following:

1. Letter from my university that stated that the medium for instructions in my university is English and that all my modules were taught in English;
2. My transcript that showed all the modules that I studied including English Language core modules;
3. My original degree certificate; and
4. A very well written cover letter

UK NARIC took one month and then sent me a letter stating that "although it is confirmed that my degree was taught in English, there is not enough evidence to show that it meets the requirements of CEFR level C1.

You will be much better off taking an approved English lanugage test rather than wasting your time, effort and money with UK NARIC. They are running a money making scam (a charade!). I'm posting this here for the benefit of all those who need to satisfy this English language requirement as I learnt the hard way. DON'T GO TO UK NARIC.

tvnaveen78
Newly Registered

Post by tvnaveen78 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:40 pm

hi similar situation as others..
i am going to apply for naturalisation and i have got a problem with my name on degree certificates. i have got the initials and firstname it doesn,t have my surname. can i use this for the english eligibility criterua as i hav checked and my degree is being awarded with pointson ukba site.will the nsme mismstch cause a problem.
my name is t.v.naveen kumar on the degree and full name is tichunapslli vinod naveen kumar on passport and BRP.
please your suggestion would be useful.

tier2_cts

Post by tier2_cts » Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:57 am

Hi all,

I am applying for British citizenship. I am planning to submit my post-graduation degree certificates obtained from India.
My degree certificates are issued on my name as First Name + Initial (First letter of my surname), can someone let me know whether this is okay or should have First Name + Surname?

I have UK NARIC letters confirming my degree and English language requirement for the same.

ukswus

Post by ukswus » Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:21 pm

tier2_cts wrote:Hi all,

I am applying for British citizenship. I am planning to submit my post-graduation degree certificates obtained from India.
My degree certificates are issued on my name as First Name + Initial (First letter of my surname), can someone let me know whether this is okay or should have First Name + Surname?

I have UK NARIC letters confirming my degree and English language requirement for the same.
This is strange. I could understand if the degree was issied in your full surname+ first name initial, but not the way you described it. If possible, I would try and get some letter from your university confirming your full name.