ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

NCS experience since 28th Oct

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

tier_2_applicant

NCS experience since 28th Oct

Post by tier_2_applicant » Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:06 pm

Hi,

Could someone who has made an application at NCS since 28th Oct please advice what KOLL proof are they asking for?

* Is NARIC's certificate of comprability mandatory or are they fine as long as your degree is recognised on points based calculator?
* Is NARIC's 'language of instruction' certificate mandatory or are they fine with a certificate to this effect from your university?

Many thanks.

InUkOnHsmp
United Kingdom

Post by InUkOnHsmp » Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:13 pm

Just to add, those who have already proved their KOLL previously (maybe at the time of entry clearance), can they put their experience here too.

It will really help people like me who still have to apply for their naturalisation, and are in a dilemma as to whether or not they need to write an additional test.

Regards
Challenges make life worth it!

Adojay

Post by Adojay » Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:40 pm

Moved from my original post for continuity...

Hi All,

Just back from NCS where I had appointment booked for my BC checks before submission. Everything was OK for my wife and son, but I had some issues regarding;

1. Gaps between when old passport expired and when the new one was re-issued. They said I have to provide proof I was in the country between those periods. This could be confirmed using P60, payslips or letter from employer.

2. My degree is not verified by UK NARIC.

I had a degree from overseas, and in 2007 when I applied for HSMP, there was a requirement to confirm using UK NARIC or obtain a letter from institution if degree was taught in English Language. I chose the latter (the easier option) and got a letter from the school's Registrar office that degree was indeed taught in English. That was accepted by HO, and I was granted HSMP visa at the time.

Until now, I was of the opinion this should still suffice for the new language requirement now that I am applying for BC. Unfortunately, I was informed they would not accept it, and I have to get confirmation only from UK NARIC.

Does anyone have contrary opinion, or was it just me that failed to do the right thing?
Last edited by Adojay on Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

- Vince Lombardi

Adojay

Post by Adojay » Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:40 pm

I managed to speak with someone in HO to complain on why I needed to get my degree assessed by NARIC as being taught in English, despite obtaining a letter from my university at the time of initial HSMP application. She said the assessment carried out by NARIC is 2 fold;

1. To assessment the quality of my degree. This is to confirm it meets UK standards.

2. To assessment it was taught in English Language.

This is utterly ridiculous! I asked her why NARIC would need to assess the quality of my degree. That in itself is too late anyway. What do they stand to benefit by that? Am already in the country and been working based on my degree. Secondly, I don't even need a degree to apply for naturalization. Do I? My wife doesn't have a degree, but did the B1 test for spoken and listening ability, and she was already to submit. The lady clearly doesn't know what she's talking about. There is a part quote from UKBA website which clearly states that "nationals of majority English speaking countries (see Annex A of Statement of Intent) and those who have obtained a degree taught in English will continue to be considered as automatically meeting the English language component". I clearly fall into those who have obtained a degree taught in English. It doesn't say it must be from a UK university.

Are there any member with this experience?

- Vince Lombardi

HSMPLOCHA

Post by HSMPLOCHA » Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:13 pm

I visited NCS Enfield. The counsellor said ho has not briefed them as yet on the rules and they are to accept what comes through the door.

I submitted a uk naric comparibility of my degree and letter from overseas university that medium of instruction was English.

p2kin

Post by p2kin » Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:20 pm

Adojay wrote:I managed to speak with someone in HO to complain on why I needed to get my degree assessed by NARIC as being taught in English, despite obtaining a letter from my university at the time of initial HSMP application. She said the assessment carried out by NARIC is 2 fold;
I agree with your views, unfortunately, due to confusing form published by UKBA & unless NCS workers get clear instructions, this will happen for next few days atleast, I'm expecting to see more & more such cases.

As an alternative, you can submit application yourself, however if you don't want to post originals, then you can get them certified by lawyer & submit application by them.

Btw, what happened? Did they accept your application?

Adojay

Post by Adojay » Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:42 pm

p2kin wrote:
Adojay wrote:I managed to speak with someone in HO to complain on why I needed to get my degree assessed by NARIC as being taught in English, despite obtaining a letter from my university at the time of initial HSMP application. She said the assessment carried out by NARIC is 2 fold;
I agree with your views, unfortunately, due to confusing form published by UKBA & unless NCS workers get clear instructions, this will happen for next few days atleast, I'm expecting to see more & more such cases.

As an alternative, you can submit application yourself, however if you don't want to post originals, then you can get them certified by lawyer & submit application by them.

She said I could submit if I wanted to. However, because I needed to show proof I have been in the UK because of the gap between when my old passport expired and when I obtained a new one, I had to leave without submitting. That's £83 down the drain :(

- Vince Lombardi

p2kin

Post by p2kin » Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:58 pm

Adojay wrote: She said I could submit if I wanted to. However, because I needed to show proof I have been in the UK because of the gap between when my old passport expired and when I obtained a new one, I had to leave without submitting. That's £83 down the drain :(
Ouch... sorry to hear that. hopefully you should get letter from employer on Monday & submit application quickly..!! Wish you all the best.

jogeg
Newly Registered

Post by jogeg » Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:06 pm

My wife had gaps on her passport as well and we used her the employment history from HMRC.
Adojay wrote:
p2kin wrote:

She said I could submit if I wanted to. However, because I needed to show proof I have been in the UK because of the gap between when my old passport expired and when I obtained a new one, I had to leave without submitting. That's £83 down the drain :(