ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Confusion re English language requirement

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

firelight
Newly Registered

Confusion re English language requirement

Post by firelight » Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:11 pm

Please accept my apologies if this has been covered elsewhere, but I am confused about what level my husband needs to achieve to be eligible to apply for a Spouse Visa. Is it B1 or A2? If he tries the PET and passes at A2, can he apply for the visa?

Thanks to all for your help.

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:19 pm

**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

firelight
Newly Registered

Post by firelight » Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:01 pm

Thank you for your reply. Could I just clarify my understanding of the spouse visa? The spouse visa application is to get your partner into the country. After that, it's a wait of 5 years in total, with a review after 2.5 years. Then you can apply for settlement and you need to pass the English Exam at level B1. Is this correct? If so, then the new language rules do not affect anyone regarding spouse visa applications for the initial period of 2.5 years and level A1 is sufficient for the initial application?

We got married recently in Tunisia and I just want to ensure that he is sitting the correct exam for him to be eligible apply for a visa to be with me in the UK when he passes.

Thank you so much for your help.

ijamesf

Post by ijamesf » Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:24 pm

Your assumptions are correct.

My wife took a Cambridge ESOL KET Exam to meet the requirement for the initial spouse VISA.

I recently asked if the new requirement of english is required after the first 33 months when you have to extend, FLR (M), and the answer is still no, the higher requirement is only required for the indefinite leave to remain, Settlement. The knowledge of life test is also required for ILR.

Hope that clarifies things for you

firelight
Newly Registered

Post by firelight » Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:56 am

Thank you so much. I just wanted to check that I had got it right. I advised him to sit the PET in August, but the British Council in Tunisia advised him to take the PET, which he failed. We were advised that the exam requirements were changing in October 2013 and that he had to try the PET, but I thought it was me that had got it wrong and had missed something.

That is really good news for us. Thank you so much once again for the replies. :D