ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Can u stay/work past your visa expiry date if...

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

new2waix

Can u stay/work past your visa expiry date if...

Post by new2waix » Wed Apr 18, 2007 7:34 am

Can you stay in the country or continue working in the country if your current visa has expired - assuming you are in the process of applying for a new visa?

I head that under immigration law, a visa applicant can stay within the country even though their visa has expired?

Does this apply for individuals whose work permit expires - can they continue working while their new work permit is being processed?

Can anyone verify this? And provide a link to the law?

Thanks!

new2waix

Post by new2waix » Wed Apr 18, 2007 4:19 pm

*bump*

In simple terms - if you are waiting a visa/work permit decision - do you have to leave the country (if your current visa/work permit has expired)?

Or can you stay until a decision is reached?

CHINN

Post by CHINN » Wed Apr 18, 2007 8:14 pm

You can stay and work legally in the country if you have applied/submitted your application for further reamin to leave or indefinite leave to remain to the home office before the expiry of the visa and until a decision is reached.
Chinn

daveee
Newly Registered

Post by daveee » Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:29 pm

I believe Chinn is right.

The way I see it, as long as your FLR-HSMP application has been rec'd by their office, you can stay under this law:

SECTIONS 3C AND 3D OF THE IMMIGRATION ACT 1971
SECTION 5 (AS AMENDED)
1. INTRODUCTION
It is often not possible to decide an application for an extension of leave until after the period of leave has expired. To prevent applicants from becoming overstayers through no fault of their own, section 118 of the Nationality, Immigration and Asylum Act 2002 introduced an amended section 3C into the Immigration Act 1971. Section 3C automatically extends the leave of a person who has made an application for
further leave to remain during a period of extant leave. Technically, the leave is "treated as continuing".

To benefit, a person must have existing leave to enter or remain at the time when their valid application is made. Section 3C then prevents such an applicant becoming an overstayer during the period in which their application for a variation of leave remains undecided and, thereafter, while an appeal against any refusal could be brought or is pending.
To prevent people becoming overstayers while exercising a right of appeal against a decision to curtail or to revoke leave to enter or remain, section 11 of the Immigration, Asylum and Nationality Act 2006 added a section 3D to the Immigration Act 1971.

When leave to enter or remain is curtailed or revoked, section 3D extends it while an appeal could be brought or is pending.

I'm not sure how they calculate 12 months of employment though. Can anyone shed some light on the working holiday maker definition of 12 months of employment. Does this include annual leave?

new2waix

Post by new2waix » Thu Apr 19, 2007 3:42 pm

Thanks Davee for the info. I was trying to locate the policy, which I have now managed to find....

However this part of the law seems to apply to "extensions of stay" and not "work". The policy appears only to deal with "overstayers" and not "overworkes"...

What happens to applicants who can stay in the country, but can no longer work?

IMMIGRATION DIRECTORATES' INSTRUCTIONS
http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/docume ... schapter1/

IMMIGRATION DIRECTORATES' INSTRUCTIONS - SECTIONS 3C AND 3D OF THE IMMIGRATION ACT 1971
http://uk.sitestat.com/homeoffice/ind/s ... iew=Binary

Regarding the twelve months - I thought there was no clear guidance. It was up to your interpretation. However I have found the quote below. Most agencies count a week if you have worked anytime that week. Some contracters may get away claiming working days (ie 365 working days)...
Hi all

TNT reader Amy Davis has sent us this helpful letter on the WHV rules:

--------------------------
Given the ongoing disucssion about visas, I thought it might be worthwhile sharing this, now that i have finally gotten an answer from the Home Office!

There has been a lot of discussion in the Antipodean community about what the new Working Holidaymaker rules actually are - you know the one where you can be in the country for two years but can only work for 12 months? Well, after reading the TNT discussion boards and trying all sorts of avenues, I have actually received an answer from the Home Office! - the email response took more than five months (I emailed them in May), but at least I now know what that elusive "12 months" means.

The official response I received from the Home Office is as follows:

"As you know working holidaymakers may only engage in work for a maximum of 12 months in total throughout their stay. They may choose when to work and when to take their holiday breaks as they wish, but it is the personal responsibility of each working holidaymaker to ensure that they comply with their conditions of stay, and any working holidaymaker who exceeds the maximum 12 month period of work permitted will be in breach of their conditions.

Where the working holidaymaker is an employee:
However long or short the period of employment with a particular employer, the maximum 12 months period of permitted work is calculated on the basis of the total period spent in employment (including weekends and leave of absence, e.g. sick leave, annual leave and public holidays that occur during a period of employment), not on the basis of the actual number of days worked. This guidance applies whether the employment concerned is full-time or part-time.

Where the working holidaymaker is self-employed:
Where a working holidaymaker is self-employed, not an employee, and is paid by companies for whom he provides services only for the actual work he performs, he may calculate his period of permitted work in terms of the days actually worked, up to a maximum of 365 days worked. If he has also spent some time as an employee, the total period spent as an employee (calculated as set out in the paragraph above) should be subtracted from 12 month period in which work is permitted, when calculating, in days, the period of the 12 months that remains available to be spent in self-employment.

I hope this is helpful to others out there desperately trying to find out the rules, as I have been for months!

Amy Davis, via email

http://www.tntmagazine.com/discuss/view ... da4e08f8a5