ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EEA applying for BC; individual or family member?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

dexter88
Newly Registered

EEA applying for BC; individual or family member?

Post by dexter88 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:31 pm

Hi all,
I am an EEA national, aged 22. I came in UK in August 2007 together with my parents(both EEA nationals).
In August 2012, when my parents met the requirements for permanent residence I was few months over 21, but still dependent on them, being in second year at uni.
In September 2013, my parents applied for BC without to have applied for PR and received approval at end of October( the ceremony will be on 3rd of December).
I have finished my uni in summer, and I am no longer dependent on my parents, but I still live with them.
Can I still apply as a family member?
Thanks a lot.
Last edited by dexter88 on Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:21 pm

You should be fine applying as a family member (this is only needed for the PR part of the application - your first 5 years in the UK).

dexter88
Newly Registered

Post by dexter88 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:11 am

Jambo wrote:You should be fine applying as a family member (this is only needed for the PR part of the application - your first 5 years in the UK).
Thanks Jambo. Do you think that the birth certificate and the degree will be sufficient to prove the dependency?
Thanks again for your time to answer.

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:18 am

Birth certificate should be enough to prove PR. You can add on the extra information page that you have been dependant on your parents (and living with them) for the whole duration. For the sake of a few months (past 21), I don't think the nationality team will insist on seeing any evidence of dependency (which is required past 21). If they think this is required, they will write to you.

You might need to provide the degree to show you are meeting the English language requirement.

dexter88
Newly Registered

Post by dexter88 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:36 am

Jambo wrote:Birth certificate should be enough to prove PR. You can add on the extra information page that you have been dependant on your parents (and living with them) for the whole duration. For the sake of a few months (past 21), I don't think the nationality team will insist on seeing any evidence of dependency (which is required past 21). If they think this is required, they will write to you.

You might need to provide the degree to show you are meeting the English language requirement.
Yes, I intended to do so, and I was thinking that in the same time the degree can prove that although I was over 21 when do for PR, I was still in full time education.
Thanks a lot for answering my queries. You are really great.