ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Tier 4 to Tier 2 (SOC code)

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Syntax30
Newly Registered

Tier 4 to Tier 2 (SOC code)

Post by Syntax30 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:28 pm

I graduated in July and studied Computer Networking. I have a potential job offer for a IT Technician/Engineer role. Looking at the SOC codes I am surprised to see that the closest role is "3131" IT Operations Technicians is listed as NQF level 4. Somehow this doesn't count when it is a specialized field and one I just graduated in.

First question is, being that Im switching from Tier 4 to Tier 2, can I apply into NQF level 4, or does it still have to be level 6? I ask this because I know switching from 4 to 2 makes one exempt from labour market test and immigration cap.

If not is it possible to use a different SOC code, one that is NQF level 6? If you were to extend the truth a bit would that be an issue? Example most of my roles would fit under the level 4 role, however, one or two fairly similar roles can be found in a level 6 role or two, but my job would relate more so to the level 4 role. Can I just pick one of those level 6 roles and get on with it?

This doesn't seem right on the UKBA's part, for I graduated in that role and am now excluded.

Thanks.

manci
Respected Guru

Post by manci » Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:54 pm

The job needs to be NQF level 6 unless it is a shortage occupation.

You don't choose the SOC code, the sponsor does. They are resposnible to the HO for their choice.

If they find an NQF level 6 SOC code that is a good fit to what you will be actually doing that would be OK