ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Indefinate Leave to Remain

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Girlie Girl
Newly Registered

Indefinate Leave to Remain

Post by Girlie Girl » Thu Apr 19, 2007 4:37 pm

hello all,

Its my first time here. Am I correct in believe that people who answer questions are people with some authority in home office (UK) or very well versed with the laws?

Second question first - I am a person who worries about interviews and face to face dealings but will have to go to home office in person to apply for my ILR as I plan to go travelling very soon. So my question is - has anyone recently been to the home office for ILR? What kind of questions do I expect?

The first part of my question is - I have cleared the life in UK (first attempt):) 2006 version and want to know if I can use this to make my Indefinate Leave to Remain application in June-July time.

thank you to anyone who take the time in reading/replying this. Sorry if these questions have already been answered in any other forum

tekaweni

Post by tekaweni » Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:28 pm

Hi there,

While some of the folk here are experts in immigration (admins and moderators), the bulk of us are just carousing louts who have been or are going through the process and are willing to share our experiences, good or otherwise. I dont think anyone here actually works for the Home Office, though some are obviously well connected.

If you flinch under interrogation you could pay a solicitor to submit your ILR application?

Your life in the uk test is valid forever, and may be used for both ILR and your naturalisation application.

Cheers
Kim
If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always gotten

stedman

Post by stedman » Thu Apr 19, 2007 8:44 pm

I was never "interviewed" at the HO, most of the time I stood there and they asked for one document after the other, then they spent ages tapping into their computer... then they asked me to wait, and after about an hour I'm called back to collect my stamped passport. There isn't any proper interview, unless your case is complicated - and in that case you shouldn't be using the same day service.

Movado
Newly Registered

Post by Movado » Thu Apr 19, 2007 8:58 pm

Thats exactly what they'll do if you apply for ILR. Please give more details so that people can give more accurate advice on what to expect etc. Dont worry too much though because if you qualify and you have documentation they request then its a walk in the park!
stedman wrote:I was never "interviewed" at the HO, most of the time I stood there and they asked for one document after the other, then they spent ages tapping into their computer... then they asked me to wait, and after about an hour I'm called back to collect my stamped passport. There isn't any proper interview, unless your case is complicated - and in that case you shouldn't be using the same day service.

vin123
Member of Standing

Re: Indefinate Leave to Remain

Post by vin123 » Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:02 pm

Girlie Girl,

The Interview is not a question answer or ILR eligibility evaluation session.
Basically, you are expected to take N set of documents and will be asked one by one at the counter.

If you don’t have one set of document, you will be asked the reason why you don’t have it and will be offered a chance to prove with something else. So the more documents you take, the better the chances are for an approval.

So in effect, the process is very simple, it’s just step by step verification of documents and based on the stuffs you produce, there will be a straight forward yes or no in the end. Some cases will be referred to a special team.

Hope this helps

Girlie Girl wrote:hello all,

Its my first time here. Am I correct in believe that people who answer questions are people with some authority in home office (UK) or very well versed with the laws?

Second question first - I am a person who worries about interviews and face to face dealings but will have to go to home office in person to apply for my ILR as I plan to go travelling very soon. So my question is - has anyone recently been to the home office for ILR? What kind of questions do I expect?

The first part of my question is - I have cleared the life in UK (first attempt):) 2006 version and want to know if I can use this to make my Indefinate Leave to Remain application in June-July time.

thank you to anyone who take the time in reading/replying this. Sorry if these questions have already been answered in any other forum

Girlie Girl
Newly Registered

Post by Girlie Girl » Fri Apr 20, 2007 10:39 am

Some more detail.

I finish my 5 years in July 07 (according to the leave to remain date in 02). I initially applied for a work permit for 24 months as I was new to the company and for the company I was a newbie, so I worked there for 24 (very long months) and then moved on to another company who applied for my work permit just in time when my leave to remain was about to run out.

I feel my case is a little more complicated and so I might be interviewed:
1) I have the 5 years from 2 different companies.
2) My leave to remain has a gap of 3.5 months as there was big back log in the home office (I applied for my LTR a month after my 1st one expired as I was waiting for WP approval)

Lastly will I need any documents from the 1st company I worked with (a very tough job for me)

Really appreciate all your advice.

thank you for your time

vin123
Member of Standing

Post by vin123 » Fri Apr 20, 2007 12:09 pm

3.5 months gap is not a big issue as long as its just one-off.
They may object if you had multiple long breaks by seeing your FLR term periods in your passport.

Since the case worker is trained to assess people step by step, sometimes the question may not even arise if you have all documents.

So make sure you take the all documents that you have which shows the first company1’s name on it.

Even if you don’t succeed in getting the original WP approval letter from company1 (normally they send a copy to be given to the employee), the Case worker could find out whether you were genuinely employed by them from their previous files.
Girlie Girl wrote:Some more detail.

I finish my 5 years in July 07 (according to the leave to remain date in 02). I initially applied for a work permit for 24 months as I was new to the company and for the company I was a newbie, so I worked there for 24 (very long months) and then moved on to another company who applied for my work permit just in time when my leave to remain was about to run out.

I feel my case is a little more complicated and so I might be interviewed:
1) I have the 5 years from 2 different companies.
2) My leave to remain has a gap of 3.5 months as there was big back log in the home office (I applied for my LTR a month after my 1st one expired as I was waiting for WP approval)

Lastly will I need any documents from the 1st company I worked with (a very tough job for me)

Really appreciate all your advice.

thank you for your time

Girlie Girl
Newly Registered

Post by Girlie Girl » Fri Apr 20, 2007 1:55 pm

Vin

I have the original WP letter from the first company but thats all I have.
:?: Will I need a letter from them saying I was working with them for the first 2 years?...
:?: Also, with the gap in my LTR should I have been working with my first employer or second or none?

thank you. :)

tekaweni

Post by tekaweni » Fri Apr 20, 2007 2:09 pm

P60's and/or payslips from the 1st employer would also show the period you worked for them.
If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always gotten

ronnng

Post by ronnng » Fri Apr 20, 2007 2:43 pm

hi there, i was in the similiar case as yours. During my 4 years WP ( i'm one of the lucky one which did not get affected by the 4-5 changes), i have worked for two companies, and there was about 1.5 months gap in between. This was my major concerned when i applied for my ILR, but the interviewer didn't questioned anything about the gap i have between two jobs, and granted my ILR two hours later. They did not even looked at my P60/P45 from my first job, the only thing they looked at is my first WP. But i would suggest to bring P45/P60 and WP from first employer, you never know. Not to worried too much, as long as you have all the documents with you (bring as many as you can, anything you can think of, always more than less), it is really a straight forward process.

Good Luck !! Waiting for your good news and pls share your experience with us.

Girlie Girl
Newly Registered

Post by Girlie Girl » Fri Apr 20, 2007 3:36 pm

I still have a long way to go for any news - good or not so good.

The problem is I do not have the P45 and P60's from my first company- I have misplaced them (I was going to move to US late 2004). I did not think I will stick around in UK for 5 yrs. The first company might give me a letter saying I was working with them, but I think the chances are little because the company was very small and the people were not helpful at all.

:(

vin123
Member of Standing

Post by vin123 » Fri Apr 20, 2007 6:53 pm

I think you can always get P60's copy re-issued, but P45 I'm not too sure.
So contact the company-1 asap, and make arrangements for the same. They are very valid documents, and will surely be asked at the counter.
Girlie Girl wrote:I still have a long way to go for any news - good or not so good.

The problem is I do not have the P45 and P60's from my first company- I
:(

bbdivo
Member of Standing

Post by bbdivo » Fri Apr 20, 2007 10:04 pm

You do not need any documents from the first company, you may be asked for the work permit letter (but highly unlikely) which you have.

From what you have stated, your ILR is a straightforward one. Working for 2 different companies during the period does not make it a more complex case, also the gap is not an issue, anyone who has had to have their LTR extended will always have that gap (I did when my work permit was renewed)

You will not need the P60's/P45's from your first company for your ILR application.

vin123
Member of Standing

Post by vin123 » Sat Apr 21, 2007 1:22 pm

bbdivo wrote:You do not need any documents from the first company, you may be asked for the work permit letter (but highly unlikely) which you have.

You will not need the P60's/P45's from your first company for your ILR application.
Only 2 employers for OP in 5 years and you reckon the first one is totally irrelevant as far as demonstrating living/working/earnings ?

bbdivo
Member of Standing

Post by bbdivo » Sat Apr 21, 2007 3:27 pm

vin123 wrote:
bbdivo wrote:You do not need any documents from the first company, you may be asked for the work permit letter (but highly unlikely) which you have.

Only 2 employers for OP in 5 years and you reckon the first one is totally irrelevant as far as demonstrating living/working/earnings ?
Absolutely, if you read ronnng's experience, he took the documentd from both employees and was not asked for them, he also had two employees in the 4(/5) year period, he was asked for the work permit from first employer.

If you read the list of required documents in the application form, you need the following:
Evidence of your finances. If you have to complete section 5, bank statements, building society savings book(s), pay
slips or other formal documents as evidence of your ability to maintain and accommodate yourself and any dependants
without recourse to public funds. If a relative or friend is supporting you, a letter from him/her confirming this with bank
statements or other documents of the kind described above as evidence of their financial situation. See Note 3 below.

Note 3 The documents showing the finances available to you and/or to the person supporting you should cover at least the
last 3 months.We do not accept internet or cashpoint statements as evidence of finances.
as you see they only require proof if finances for the last 3 months (you can take more if you want, I took 6 months), not for the whole period you were present in the UK. The OP's case is a very straighforward one, if it was not then I would probably agree you would need more proof (ie the p60's etc)

Girlie Girl
Newly Registered

Re. My partner

Post by Girlie Girl » Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:56 am

He is on my dependant visa for now. He wants to get an HSMP - its easier to find work and all that...

He fits the criteria for HSMP except he was unemployeed and looking for work from May 06-Oct06 so cannot show any income from then.

Can he apply with his last six months income proof?

thank you again