ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Leaving the UK!

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

jev
Newly Registered

Leaving the UK!

Post by jev » Fri Apr 20, 2007 10:43 am

Hi All

Long story short... I applied to have my student visa extended so that I can finish my thesis , which I said I will finish by a certain date. A few months later i got a response basically stating that im now an overstayer, liable to be detained, since I had no communication with them since the date i had set to finish, and now i must report to them on a certain date, or leave. I've reported twice as I was buying some time.

Anyway I'm ready to leave and got everything done including, sending stuff home, packing, closing accounts, buying my plane ticket. I report next week tuesday and my flight is next week saturday. My problem is I think they still got my passport, so my question is what do I do?

To get travel documents from my embassy means i will have to explain what happened to my passport (lost or stolen) in which case I will need a police report, so I am a bit stuck. I just want to leave!

Dawie
Diamond Member

Post by Dawie » Fri Apr 20, 2007 11:43 am

Then go to the police and report your passport as stolen. The police are not concerned by immigration matters.
In a few years time we'll look back on immigration control like we look back on American prohibition in the thirties - futile and counter-productive.

vin123
Member of Standing

Re: Leaving the UK!

Post by vin123 » Fri Apr 20, 2007 11:45 am

You dont know where is your passport now ?

From what you have described, it is very unlikely that it has been confiscated for the purpose of overstaying, if so, you would have got a notice from Home Office. You can contact HO to clarify the matter.

If you have lost your passport, contact your embassy and they will sort out a passport for you. Again, you need a lost item reference from police while going for a duplicate passport.

jev wrote:....My problem is I think they still got my passport, so my question is what do I do?

To get travel documents from my embassy means i will have to explain what happened to my passport (lost or stolen) in which case I will need a police report, so I am a bit stuck. I just want to leave!

pantaiema
Diamond Member

Post by pantaiema » Fri Apr 20, 2007 1:45 pm

jev

If they still had you passport then call them. In some cases (it have been repeorted in this forum) that they will not give your paaport back until you decelare the day of your departure. In this case they will give you notice to take you passport in the immigration office at your departure airport.

I think this is their standard way of dealing this sort of problem.

But please do not take my word for granted. You need to call them to find out.

Pantaiema

twilight80
Newly Registered

Post by twilight80 » Sat Apr 21, 2007 12:48 pm

hi jev

what course were u doing and at which university , the international office of the university should be looking into this matter..have they helped you with it...
when did you apply for extension and was it your first extension

pantaiema
Diamond Member

Post by pantaiema » Tue Apr 24, 2007 7:07 pm

jev

I think this is probably the best advise. It is the International Office duties to help you in this instance. They get paid from your tuition fee
, know how to cope with this problem and it is for free.

Contact the Int office and ask them to write to HO why they reject your extension.

Pantaiema

twilight80 wrote:hi jev

what course were u doing and at which university , the international office of the university should be looking into this matter..have they helped you with it...
when did you apply for extension and was it your first extension