ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Divorce before applying for BC, non-EU PR holder

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

4uvak000

Divorce before applying for BC, non-EU PR holder

Post by 4uvak000 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:12 pm

Hi all. This is on behalf of my friend. My friend is a non-EU family member of EU citizen. My friend hold PR issued few months ago. They are married since 2007. Now things are not quite well and divorce possible. As to my understanding, my friend should be ok to apply for BC after divorce providing that my friend has PR stamped in passport, has been working full time since 2007 (was a student from 2005) and satisfies absence requirements. Is this right that my friend should wait 1 year from the PR issue date and than apply for BC sending only passport, diploma (to prove English language skills) and Life in UK certificate in case of divorce? My friend has UK masters degree. Thanks.

jotter
Member of Standing

Re: Divorce before applying for BC, non-EU PR holder

Post by jotter » Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:31 pm

4uvak000 wrote:Hi all. This is on behalf of my friend. My friend is a non-EU family member of EU citizen. My friend hold PR issued few months ago. They are married since 2007. Now things are not quite well and divorce possible. As to my understanding, my friend should be ok to apply for BC after divorce providing that my friend has PR stamped in passport, has been working full time since 2007 (was a student from 2005) and satisfies absence requirements. Is this right that my friend should wait 1 year from the PR issue date and than apply for BC sending only passport, diploma (to prove English language skills) and Life in UK certificate in case of divorce? My friend has UK masters degree. Thanks.
My understanding is that any divorce would be a non-issue here, since its already 'post-PR'. Once you have PR as a non-EU family member you are no longer dependent upon the EU family member for your status, so what they've been doing since PR with regards to treaty rights doesn't count. They only need to meet the other standard requirements for that time (e.g. absences from the UK). Having said that, I would in general recommend to any person who has been on the EEA route to wait the 12 months after getting PR so that they don't have to resubmit any treaty rights evidence.

askmeplz82
Diamond Member

Re: Divorce before applying for BC, non-EU PR holder

Post by askmeplz82 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:17 pm

Can't agree more
UK Student Visa : 04/2004 - 09/2009
EEA Residence Card : 07/2010 - 7/2015
EU Settled Status: Confirmed on 16th July 2019
Naturalisation : Confirmed on 02nd Oct 2020
Passport Approval : 21st Feb 2021

4uvak000

Post by 4uvak000 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:51 pm