ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

New Born Babies

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

mobig79
Newly Registered

New Born Babies

Post by mobig79 » Tue Apr 24, 2007 4:18 pm

Hi ,

I just want to know that a new born baby to a work permit holder.

What is the status of the baby if born in UK
1-Is the baby a british citizen or a foreigner
2-if british citizen how could we apply for citizenship.
3-If baby will be treated as a foreigner when could he/she get the british citizen ship.

Thanks

sunnyday

Post by sunnyday » Tue Apr 24, 2007 4:38 pm

If my memory serves me right, the baby isn't a UK citizen unless his/her parents are.

Christophe
Diamond Member

Post by Christophe » Tue Apr 24, 2007 5:30 pm

sunnyday wrote:If my memory serves me right, the baby isn't a UK citizen unless his/her parents are.
Or if they are settled (have indefinite leave to remain (permanent residence) or the right of abode in the UK); Irish citizens who have a British-born baby are deemed to be settled for this purpose.

So, in summary, a baby born in the UK will be a British citizen at birth if at least one of the parents is:

- a British citizen;
- a non-British citizen with the right of abode in the UK;
- an Irish citizen; or
- a person with indefinite leave to remain/permanent residency in the UK