ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Can a spouse be a sponsor?

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Jibi
Newly Registered

Can a spouse be a sponsor?

Post by Jibi » Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:02 pm

Hello all and thanks for the forum.

Filling in the application form for a spouse settlement visa for my American wife on the new Visa4UK website, the sponsor section has a question "What is their relationship to you?" with a drop-down menu. The drop-down menu contains almost every family relationship except spouse. Does that mean my wife needs another sponsor other than me, or is it just a mistake in the form?

Thanks,
Ben Price.

Shemimimummy
Newly Registered

Of course

Post by Shemimimummy » Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:32 pm

You can be her sponsor, your relationship is husband

ilrupdates
Member of Standing

Post by ilrupdates » Sun Dec 08, 2013 4:10 pm

Neither it means that your wife needs an other sponsor nor it is a mistake in form.

That question actually means how you and your wife are related to each other outside the marriage, i.e either you are first or second cousin to your wife as well or there is no relation except husband & wife.
Disclaimer: I am neither an immigration lawyer nor an OISC qualified/registered member. Suggestions given by me are based on personal experience. Don't treat my advice as a substitute for legal opinion.

michali
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Post by michali » Sun Dec 08, 2013 6:24 pm

This really needs clarification! Many applicants are asking the same question on this and other forums. I am still not clear at all.

Jibi
Newly Registered

Re: Of course

Post by Jibi » Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:40 pm

Shemimimummy wrote:You can be her sponsor, your relationship is husband
That's the problem. There is no option for husband/wife/spouse in the drop-down menu.

michali
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Post by michali » Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:22 am

I see some people choose 'other' and then explain in the space for additional information that the sponsor is in fact husband or wife. But I have also seen 'friend' being used and, again, an explanation in the space provided. I would hope that, having revamped the website, such ambiguities on the application forms will be sorted out soon.