ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Return of Documents and British Passport

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

VR

Return of Documents and British Passport

Post by VR » Fri Dec 06, 2013 5:22 pm

Folks,

Do they return the Original Documents you send When Applying for British Passport separately? Or does the British passport arrive together with the documents?

If they send the British Passport separately, which happens first? Are the documents returned first and then the British Passport arrives, or vice-versa?

Best Regds
vr

Ayyubi72
- thin ice -

Post by Ayyubi72 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:02 pm

I could write an article about it once I apply for my passport.

From what I have gathered and what is clear from guidelines is.

That they return supporting documents separately from passport. That is why they ask for £ 3 if you want your supporting docs returned via secure delivery. Passports are delivered by secure delivery by default and this service is included with the passport application fee.

As soon as they check all the documents, they return the supporting docs. The supporting docs may actually arrive before or after the passport interview. If you choose secure delivery then supporting docs will arrive quickly. If they arrive by their standar second class delivery, then it may well happen that you get passport before supporting docs.

VR

Not necessarily True

Post by VR » Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:55 pm

Dear Ayyubi72,

I have come across a case where a passport was received 2 days after the interview but the original documents have not been returned even after 4 days after the Interview.

I was also tole he paid extra for secure delivery of documents. All they told him on the interview was if you do not get your docs back in 10 days call the helpline.

This can cause unwanted anxiety amongst applicants. Hence posted the query.
cheers
vr

helen12
Newly Registered

Post by helen12 » Sun Dec 08, 2013 6:31 pm

My documents and approval came in same letter..I did not receive any other letter from Home office, within few days, I received letter from council about ceremony...

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun Dec 08, 2013 6:43 pm

helen12 wrote:My documents and approval came in same letter..I did not receive any other letter from Home office, within few days, I received letter from council about ceremony...
VR is referring to passport application, not naturalisation as BC application.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Ayyubi72
- thin ice -

Post by Ayyubi72 » Sun Dec 08, 2013 6:44 pm

helen12 wrote:My documents and approval came in same letter..I did not receive any other letter from Home office, within few days, I received letter from council about ceremony...
We were discussing about passport application, not naturalisation.

cmpic

Re: Return of Documents and British Passport

Post by cmpic » Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:26 pm

Sorry to revive an old thread - but is there any more clarity on whether old passports are returned to the applicant quickly? Is there a way to request this? I need to travel shortly after applying for the passport (within 2 weeks). Thanks! :D

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:42 am

Your best option would be to apply for your passport when you know you will not need to travel. Some people get there supporting documents quickly. I, for example, only got mine back 4 weeks after my passport interview.

It really depends on HMPO and whether or not you want to take the risk with imminent travel plans.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

cmpic

Post by cmpic » Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:34 pm

Thanks. Did you pay the extra £3 for the return of the documents by recorded delivery? I hear you get the originals quicker that way...

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:46 pm

I did yes, paid it for both myself and my daughter and still got our foreign passports after our interviews.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

cmpic

Post by cmpic » Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:50 am

Thanks. Do you (or anyone else) think enclosing a letter asking for originals back within 2 weeks would help (along with a return postage paid envelope)? Or would they just ignore it?