ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

private Health Insurance for visitor on 2 Years family Visa

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Babajee85
Member of Standing
Mood:
United Kingdom

private Health Insurance for visitor on 2 Years family Visa

Post by Babajee85 » Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:10 am

Hi folks,

My mother will be here with me in Feb 2014.I am on ILR and working full time.My mother have 2 Years family visitor visa.

So my questions are :

will she be entitled to register with a GP.

If not then can i apply on her behalf for private UK health insurance policy while she will be in the UK.e.g for GP consultations etc

Can she go to A & E without any charges.

Please advise !

Lucapooka
Respected Guru

Post by Lucapooka » Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:56 am

No, she can't register with a GP as a visitor. All visitors have access to A&E because that, by definition, is an emergency rather than a chronic illness that needs constant attention. Generally a private health plan is not available to non-residents so she should investigate a plan in her own country that can be used outside. Don't confuse a private health plan with travel insurance; they are not the same thing.

The tone of your post in somewhat obscure. Can you confirm that you are fully aware that her two year visa does not permit 2 years of residence? It just means that she does not need to continually apply for visit visas for the next two years every time she wishes to travel to the UK. She can enter for a period of six months per visit.

vinny

Post by vinny » Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:12 pm

Healthcare wrote:If you are a visitor to the UK or have temporary permission to live here (known as 'limited leave to remain'), you may be able to register with a GP in your area and receive free treatment. The GP can decide whether or not to register you. You may not be able to receive the full range of hospital treatment, because you must be a permanent resident or have lived here for a year to qualify for it. This applies even if you are a British citizen or have lived or worked here in the past.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:25 pm

Lucapooka wrote:No, she can't register with a GP as a visitor. All visitors have access to A&E because that, by definition, is an emergency rather than a chronic illness that needs constant attention. Generally a private health plan is not available to non-residents so she should investigate a plan in her own country that can be used outside. Don't confuse a private health plan with travel insurance; they are not the same thing.

The tone of your post in somewhat obscure. Can you confirm that you are fully aware that her two year visa does not permit 2 years of residence? It just means that she does not need to continually apply for visit visas for the next two years every time she wishes to travel to the UK. She can enter for a period of six months per visit.
I get the same feeling!
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

manci
Respected Guru

Post by manci » Sun Dec 08, 2013 5:19 pm

Babajee85
Member of Standing
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Babajee85 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:17 pm

Lucapooka wrote:No, she can't register with a GP as a visitor. All visitors have access to A&E because that, by definition, is an emergency rather than a chronic illness that needs constant attention. Generally a private health plan is not available to non-residents so she should investigate a plan in her own country that can be used outside. Don't confuse a private health plan with travel insurance; they are not the same thing.

She has been here in the past on six months visit visa.But now she got 2 years family visit visa.yes So the maximum sh can stay here is up to 6 months.

So as per Vinny post , it seems like she can register with GP if GP is ok with it.I have one of my friend and he told me he registered his mother with GP while she was here on visit visa too.

So a bit confused now...

Lucapooka
Respected Guru

Post by Lucapooka » Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:51 pm

No, Vinny's post does not say she can; it says she may be able to. So, depending on the circumstances of the visitor, there exists the possibility if the individual GP wishes to do so. There are no rights therein. I think she may have difficultly in actually achieving that but there is no harm in trying.