ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Documents for ancestry visa

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

mark83
Newly Registered
Italy

Documents for ancestry visa

Post by mark83 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:29 am

Hi everyone,

My girlfriend is a Canadian national, currently resident in Thailand (on a student visa). Her grandfather was a British citizen, born in the UK. She would like to apply for an ancestry visa through the embassy in Bangkok, but she is unclear about the necessary documentation.

From what I have seen, the absolute minimum would be birth certificates for herself, her father, and her grandfather. However, it also appears there is some kind of requirement to show a certain bank balance. She phoned the Bangkok embassy, and they said she should work out how much she needs to support herself for 6 months, and show that she has that much--the person on the phone suggested £5000 as a 'guideline', but could not confirm whether this had to be in her bank account for a certain minimum amount of time.

Can anyone clarify what the current requirements are for an ancestry visa? I have been scouring the Internet and finding lots of conflicting advice, and the UKBA web site hasn't been much help, either.

Thanks very much!

Mark

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:15 am

A September 2013 post wrote:I am a South African national living in the US (I recently graduated from a US university), so I sent my UK ancestry visa application to the NY application centre. The visa application cost $460 or so, and I chose to pay the additional $150 to expedite the application. When it arrived in NY, I was informed by email that non-settlement visas had been taking about 8 days to process. A few minutes later I received another email acknowledging the priority status of my application, and informing me that the visa would take about 48 hours to process. This proved to be correct: two days later I received another email that the visa had been approved. My documents were mailed to me the following day.

I included the following documents:

General:
My current and previous passports.
The stamped printout of my biometric appointment receipt.
A cover letter detailing the evidence I had included regarding ancestry, maintenance and so on, and an explanation of the source of my (recently acquired) funds.
A Eurostar booking itinerary showing my date of arrival in the UK (I did not include the flight booking from the US to Europe).

Ancestry:
My grandfather's (mother's side) birth certificate - a certified copy issued by the general registrar office in England. Orange and yellow document.
My mother's birth certificate - a certified copy issued by the dept. of home affairs in South Africa. I believe this is the "vault copy" with a DHA stamp and signature.
My unabridged birth certificate showing my mother's full maiden name.
A certified colour copy of the picture page of my mother's UK passport, which was obtained through her father's UK citizenship.

Funds and intention to work:
3 months' bank statements (printed from my online account) showing a balance of around $4000 in my savings account. This balance was pretty new; for most of the 3 months there was little in my account.
A faxed copy of a reference letter from my bank confirming the current and average balances of my accounts, and the dates when they were opened.
3 month's credit card statements showing an unused $3000 line of credit.
An original contract of employment with my UK employer, signed by myself and the HR director, showing my annual salary.

Documents showing proof of legal status in US:
US F-1 visa (in passport)
I-94 form (in passport)
I-20 signed by my university (although I recently graduated).
OPT employment authorization card.

Other documents included:
A CV showing education and employment history.
A print-out of my online salary slip from my current employer.

Other documents included but not used (because copies and originals returned to me):
An original letter offering employment from my UK employer.
3 month's bank statements for my checking account showing salary from current employer.
An original transcript from my university.
A certified copy of my mother's marriage certificate.

Hope this information is useful to folks!
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

mark83
Newly Registered
Italy

Post by mark83 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:03 am

Thanks very much!

What I'm having trouble understanding, though, is what is actually the minimum requirement here? Is it just entirely up to the subjective opinion of the caseworker, whether they think you have demonstrated you can support yourself in the UK? Or are there actually written guidelines somewhere?

Sorry if I'm being obtuse, I'm just really not sure what would be considered enough documentation, and we don't want to end up with her having a refused visa application on her record.

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:57 am

The requirements are set out in WRK2.3 United Kingdom ancestry (click). And:
186 wrote:Requirements for leave to enter on the grounds of United Kingdom ancestry

186. The requirements to be met by a person seeking leave to enter the United Kingdom on the grounds of his United Kingdom ancestry are that he:

(i) is a Commonwealth citizen; and

(ii) is aged 17 or over; and

(iii) is able to provide proof that one of his grandparents was born in the United Kingdom and Islands and that any such grandparent is the applicant's blood grandparent or grandparent by reason of an adoption recognised by the laws of the United Kingdom relating to adoption; and

(iv) is able to work and intends to take or seek employment in the United Kingdom; and

(v) will be able to maintain and accommodate himself and any dependants adequately without recourse to public funds; and

(vi) holds a valid United Kingdom entry clearance for entry in this capacity.
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.