ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

visa required although I have a residence card?

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

alokshah
Newly Registered

visa required although I have a residence card?

Post by alokshah » Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:51 am

Hi, I read through all your forums and this is my dilemma.
My wife (French citizen exercising treaty rights in the UK) and myself (Indian national ( with a residence card, working in the UK)) would like to travel to France for Xmas as we have done in the past.

My question is :

Last 2 years I travelled by acquiring a Schengen Visa but now that we are married and I have a RC, I am assuming that I do not require a visa so long as I carry a copy of the directive,my passport, marriage certificate (issued in the UK) etc and I travel with my spouse or join her in France. Is that correct?

Just to confirm i called the French Embassy in London who said I required a French Marriage Book? or else i will need to apply for a visa!!

Can anyone advise at the earliest? I am having a panic attack now that the tickets are booked and presents bought and we are expected to travel soon.

PS: Sorry if i have posted in the wrong forum and for starting a new topic but I am desperate ...

askmeplz82
Diamond Member

Re: visa required although I have a residence card?

Post by askmeplz82 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:29 am

according to french consulate website

The foreign spouse of a EU national (except French national) may enter France without visa if holding :

- A valid travel document ;
- A valid UK residence permit with the endorsement "family member of EEA national" (this endorsement is compulsory to be visa exempted) ;
- and if they are joining or travelling with the EU national.

http://www.ambafrance-uk.org/Visa-for-f ... n-European
Last edited by askmeplz82 on Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
UK Student Visa : 04/2004 - 09/2009
EEA Residence Card : 07/2010 - 7/2015
EU Settled Status: Confirmed on 16th July 2019
Naturalisation : Confirmed on 02nd Oct 2020
Passport Approval : 21st Feb 2021

alokshah
Newly Registered

Post by alokshah » Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:31 am

askmeplz82 wrote:according to french consulate website

The foreign spouse of a EU national (except French national) may enter France without visa if holding :

- A valid UK residence permit with the endorsement "family member of EEA national" (this endorsement is compulsory to be visa exempted) ;

Thanks.
Yes, I have seen that but what about the EU directive about being able to travel with a residence permit. Do i need a visa or not?

askmeplz82
Diamond Member

Post by askmeplz82 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:40 am

alokshah wrote:
askmeplz82 wrote:according to french consulate website

Thanks.
Yes, I have seen that but what about the EU directive about being able to travel with a residence permit. Do i need a visa or not?

well exact thing happen to me when i went to my wife country with her they won't allow me without VISA so i had to apply for S Visa . It will be FREE but i got it after 30 days

I was told that I can only travel to Poland ( my wife country ) without VISA if she was not from there. For example i can travel to france with my wife without Visa but not Poland

But you can try ... read here

http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewtopic.php?t=111841
UK Student Visa : 04/2004 - 09/2009
EEA Residence Card : 07/2010 - 7/2015
EU Settled Status: Confirmed on 16th July 2019
Naturalisation : Confirmed on 02nd Oct 2020
Passport Approval : 21st Feb 2021

obormot
Member of Standing
France

Post by obormot » Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:10 am

Yes, you need visa to the EU country of which your wife is citizen, but not to other EU countries. Visa should be free, French typically give multiple one valid for 1 year (with 3 months stay total authorized), and you only need to show that you are married to a french citizen, but I am not sue how long they take to issue it here..
Another option for you to explore could be to enter Shengen via another country - for example buy a flight with a change so that your first Shengen stop is in Germany or Netherlands, etc. Those countries you can enter without visa, and then when traveling within Shengen they do nit ask for visas

fatimahh
Member of Standing
Mood:
Guinea

Post by fatimahh » Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:36 pm

Are you travelling with Eurostar? i never had any problem traveling to France with my hubby who is French and this without visa. Mind you they never even asked for our Mariage certificate, they seem to know a lot as to EEA RC. And mind you, i once travel on my own and the French officer told me i need to be with my husband for them to let me in. then i told them he was already in france and i was joining him for holiday, after speaking with his colleague and his superior they finally let me in. If you going that way be ready to fight your case lool so show up early at the gate.
If travelling via road - Dover, then i travelled this way too and they never asked me any question on my way to France the just collect passport and stamped it.
hope my experience help.
GOD BLESS!!!

alokshah
Newly Registered

Post by alokshah » Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:50 pm

fatimahh wrote:Are you travelling with Eurostar? i never had any problem traveling to France with my hubby who is French and this without visa. Mind you they never even asked for our Mariage certificate, they seem to know a lot as to EEA RC. And mind you, i once travel on my own and the French officer told me i need to be with my husband for them to let me in. then i told them he was already in france and i was joining him for holiday, after speaking with his colleague and his superior they finally let me in. If you going that way be ready to fight your case lool so show up early at the gate.
If travelling via road - Dover, then i travelled this way too and they never asked me any question on my way to France the just collect passport and stamped it.
hope my experience help.
Thank you, you have given me a fresh breath of life. the rules are so ambiguous that i would have kept scratching my head until someone like you who had travelled before in a similar circumstance had confirmed. yes i am travelling by eurostar so all should be fine. Thanks again and Merry Xmas.

sheraz7
Respected Guru

Post by sheraz7 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:28 pm

Please donot send PM. Write in open forum to facilitate others too.
REGARDS

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:34 pm

Visa not required even if you are married to Frenchman and return to France. This is because your French partner is exercising treaty rights so you are entitled to enjoy from the EU directive (Surinder Singh case).
Check the FAQ before posting!
Citizenship (adults, children, passport)
EEA (EEA FP, RC, PR, Surinder Singh)

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:37 pm

Moved to correct forum section.

alokshah
Newly Registered

Post by alokshah » Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:02 am

Hi, just to let all of you know, i had no issues at all traveling to France with my spouse. The Immigration officers on both occasions just asked to see my passport and on the way back to UK the French border control stamped my passport and told me i did not have to fill the immigrants information card which non EU citizens traveling to the UK generally have to ! The British border control at Paris (on my way back to London only asked where my EU family member was and i told him she was ahead of me and there were no hassles at all. So anybody in a similar situation please do not worry at all although the embassy website provides confusing information.
Thanks to all for their help and support. Happy new year!!