ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Spouse of EEA citizen: Entry with Schengen visa

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

chaoclive
Diamond Member
Ireland

Spouse of EEA citizen: Entry with Schengen visa

Post by chaoclive » Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:46 am

Hi

Does anyone know if the Schengen visa provided by a Spanish Embassy to the spouse of an EEA citizen requires that the EEA citizen travels together with the non-EEA citizen? When we applied we stated that we would be travelling together.

Can the immigration staff check this on entry?

We're not trying to cheat the officials, but the EEA citizen has had to return to the UK unexpectedly and the non-EEA citizen will be travelling to Spain alone from Beijing (but the EEA citizen will be there by that time)

Confused...
CC

sheraz7
Respected Guru

Post by sheraz7 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:46 pm

A non-eu national holding schengen visa can definitely travel alone but he/she might have to answer few questions on arrivals such as having sufficient funds/insurance etc. to airport staff.
Please donot send PM. Write in open forum to facilitate others too.
REGARDS

chaoclive
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by chaoclive » Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:52 pm

Cool. That wouldn't be a problem! The most important thing is that he can enter without me being behind him!

Cheers
CC

imagine1
Newly Registered

Re: Spouse of EEA citizen: Entry with Schengen visa

Post by imagine1 » Mon Jun 16, 2014 5:41 pm

hi
i've got similar situation here, i might need to travel alone, without EU national. would like to know if your spouse was asked any questions or there was no problem at all?!
thank you

chaoclive
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by chaoclive » Mon Jun 16, 2014 5:52 pm

No issues at all. He wasn't asked a single question. They checked his visa and waved him through in Barcelona.

imagine1
Newly Registered

Post by imagine1 » Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:45 pm

chaoclive wrote:No issues at all. He wasn't asked a single question. They checked his visa and waved him through in Barcelona.
yay, happy to hear that
thank you :)

chaoclive
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by chaoclive » Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:42 am

He was also never asked anything when he entered Amsterdam on a tourist visa. I was behind him every time but they never once looked for me.

I'm sure the UK is different but Schengen countries don't seem to be so worried!

logical_1

Post by logical_1 » Tue Jun 17, 2014 2:26 am

chaoclive wrote:He was also never asked anything when he entered Amsterdam on a tourist visa. I was behind him every time but they never once looked for me.

I'm sure the UK is different but Schengen countries don't seem to be so worried!
Chaoclive could you please tell us whether your partner had a return ticket or one-way?

Me and my EU wife would be flying out from Beijing to Amsterdam or Frankfurt, so I was wondering if you encountered any problems with the airport/airline staff at the airport.
Thanks.
Did u sell your soul for a mere stack?

chaoclive
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by chaoclive » Tue Jun 17, 2014 2:47 am

He had a return ticket every time but was never asked for anything at immigration in Amsterdam or Barcelona! I guess the airline staff could see that he held a return ticket at check-in, but they didn't ask.

He was asked on arrival to the UK though (every time!).

We also flew from Beijing.

Are you living in Beijing as well? If your wife is EEA, but not German/Dutch, I guess you won't have any problems.

logical_1

Post by logical_1 » Tue Jun 17, 2014 3:05 am

My wife is British. We are living in Shenyang.
We will be travelling together so I guess a one-way ticket should hopefully be fine. I really don't fancy paying for a return.

chaoclive
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by chaoclive » Tue Jun 17, 2014 3:15 am

Are you planning to return or to stay in Europe? If planning to stay in Europe then your wife should tell the immigration people that she is planning to exercise her treaty rights in that country and that you have the right to be with her.

You might want to print out the Directive and find information about the initial 3 month right of residence to make sure you don't face any issues.

All the best! Keep up updated.
CC

logical_1

Post by logical_1 » Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:40 am

We are planning to stay in Germany and use Surinder singh route for us to return back to UK.
I hope things go well and will definitely keep the members posted.