ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

When does my partner's qualifying period for ILR start?

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

TheApplicant
Newly Registered

When does my partner's qualifying period for ILR start?

Post by TheApplicant » Wed Dec 25, 2013 10:21 pm

Hi all!

I am a tier 2 HSMW and by late 2015, i will be eligible to apply for ILR.

My wife has been studying here since 2010 and her student visa will expire late 2014, when she will switch to a dependent visa on me. (we met here in the UK; have been living together since early 2012 and got married this past year.)

Now, my question is: when I apply for my ILR, can she apply as well? or should she wait for 5 years?

And if she should wait for 5 years: Does the 5 years period begin from the day she switches to the dependent visa on me? or did it begin from the day she entered the UK on a student visa?

ryans
Newly Registered

Re: When does my partner's qualifying period for ILR start?

Post by ryans » Wed Dec 25, 2013 10:34 pm

Now, my question is: when I apply for my ILR, can she apply as well? or should she wait for 5 years?
She can apply as a PBS dependant when you apply for ILR but she will have to return to her country of origin to switch visa categories. She can apply for ILR once she completes 5 yrs under the new rules
And if she should wait for 5 years: Does the 5 years period begin from the day she switches to the dependent visa on me? or did it begin from the day she entered the UK on a student visa?
The 5 year period begins from the day your wife switches to the PBS dependant category.

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Wed Dec 25, 2013 10:42 pm

A PBS dep switch can be made in-Country.
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

TheApplicant
Newly Registered

Post by TheApplicant » Wed Dec 25, 2013 10:58 pm

Thanks to you both for your help!

As I said her student visa will expire late 2014. Does she have to wait until her student visa expire and then switch to dependent visa? Or can she switch anytime now?