ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Transferring other visas on British Passport

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

tdpff3

Transferring other visas on British Passport

Post by tdpff3 » Wed May 02, 2007 1:02 pm

Forgive my ignorance if this post should not be in this thread.

Under the visa waiver programme as British citizen one is allowed to travel to those countries for three months period. Beyond that period they have to obtain visa. On my non-British passport I have ten years of multiple entry visa to USA. My query is, has anyone tried transferring such visas on their British passport.

stedman

Post by stedman » Wed May 02, 2007 1:04 pm

You can't, you have to either travel with the non British passport or use the visa waiver program with your UK passport.

champion

Re: Transferring other visas on British Passport

Post by champion » Wed May 02, 2007 1:14 pm

tdpff3 wrote:Forgive my ignorance if this post should not be in this thread.

Under the visa waiver programme as British citizen one is allowed to travel to those countries for three months period. Beyond that period they have to obtain visa. On my non-British passport I have ten years of multiple entry visa to USA. My query is, has anyone tried transferring such visas on their British passport.
You should rather ask US embassy. VISa is a property (sort of) of the visiting country (in this case us). A permission for you to visit US under the specified terms.

If you can hold both the passport legally then use second passport for travelling to UK if not then Ask US on what to do. Even if they can transfer your VISa to new passport they will charge you (it will be almost equal to if you apply for a new 10 yeart VISA)

but this is all my guess only

jes2jes

Post by jes2jes » Wed May 02, 2007 1:55 pm

tdpff3:

There is no need of transfering your visa into the Brit Ppt. The only condition for which a Brit ppt holder is advised to apply for a visa is, if previously, they had been denied a visa before acquiring the British Passport.

You would have to pay a new fee as pointed out above (I think £60) and a total waste of your time and money whilst you do not need to do that now because of your status as a Brit citizen.

The only advantage of using a visa against a Brit ppt is that, on the visa, you can be allowed a maximum of 6 months stay on entry (at the discretion of the IO) whilst on a Brit ppt, you are allowed only 90 days. If you want to stay more then you would have to lodge an application via the INS at the DHS in the States for extension.
Praise The Lord!!!!

Dawie
Diamond Member

Post by Dawie » Wed May 02, 2007 1:57 pm

It's rather simple:

Use the passport that has the 10-year multiple entry visa to enter the United States and use your British passport to return to the UK.
In a few years time we'll look back on immigration control like we look back on American prohibition in the thirties - futile and counter-productive.

stedman

Re: Transferring other visas on British Passport

Post by stedman » Wed May 02, 2007 2:06 pm

champion wrote: You should rather ask US embassy.
I had the same "problem" in february and the US embassy's reply was what I posted above.

jes2jes

Post by jes2jes » Wed May 02, 2007 2:07 pm

Dawie wrote:It's rather simple:

Use the passport that has the 10-year multiple entry visa to enter the United States and use your British passport to return to the UK.
Is this lawful? I am not sure but you can tell me.

Currently, the US Immigration are using a system where you would have to scan your visa or machine readable ppt when exiting the country before boarding the plane. You would be given a print out to keep to prove that you left. So, if you use the method above it is possible you would be classified as someone who overstayed or never left the US.

A couple of years ago when your ppt was not stamped when you came through HTR, I left the US and got no stamps in LDN. Upon my return to the US, I faced a couple of minutes of questioning because they said there was no record I left the country although I surrendered my I-94 but the IO said there was no stamp to prove I went to the UK. This caused a lot of delays and told them they can call IND to check with them via my landing card I filled. Rather dumb because how would I have re-entered if I did not leave in the first place. Just be cautious.
Praise The Lord!!!!

Dawie
Diamond Member

Post by Dawie » Wed May 02, 2007 2:10 pm

Obviously I implied that you would use the passport with the visa to enter AND leave the USA and you would use your UK passport to enter and leave the UK.

I would never advise entering the USA with one passport and leaving it with a different one.
In a few years time we'll look back on immigration control like we look back on American prohibition in the thirties - futile and counter-productive.

jes2jes

Post by jes2jes » Wed May 02, 2007 2:12 pm

Dawie wrote:Obviously I implied that you would use the passport with the visa to enter AND leave the USA and you would use your UK passport to enter and leave the UK.

I would never advise entering the USA with one passport and leaving it with a different one.
Dawie, thanks for the clarification. It makes sense.
Praise The Lord!!!!

tdpff3

Post by tdpff3 » Thu May 03, 2007 9:54 pm

Based on the news posted on the thread below:
http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewtopic.php?t=15423

If the US government cancells visa waiver program for UK, then I guess those of us who have dual nationality and multiple visas for USA on non-British passport can request the US embassy to transfer our visa on the UK passport.

Will wait and see what happens and perhaps can enquire from US embassy.

jes2jes

Post by jes2jes » Fri May 04, 2007 12:04 am

Please note that the US does not operate a visa transfer system like the HO. You would rather have to reapply for the visa with supporting evidence like presenting a new application.
Praise The Lord!!!!

Dawie
Diamond Member

Post by Dawie » Fri May 04, 2007 12:10 am

Or just use the non-British passport with the visa in it.

Christophe
Diamond Member

Post by Christophe » Sat May 05, 2007 1:26 pm

jes2jes wrote:Please note that the US does not operate a visa transfer system like the HO. You would rather have to reapply for the visa with supporting evidence like presenting a new application.
The US allows you to use a still valid visa in an expired passport provided that (a) the visa itself has not been damaged (e.g. in the cancellation process by having the corner cut off or holes stamped through it) and (b) the person's new passport is of the same nationality as the passport with the visa in it. If either of these criteria is not met, then the person must apply for a new visa.

global gypsy
United Kingdom

Dual nationalities

Post by global gypsy » Mon May 07, 2007 12:37 pm

Dawie wrote:Obviously I implied that you would use the passport with the visa to enter AND leave the USA and you would use your UK passport to enter and leave the UK.
It may not be as simple as that. The fact that there's a 10-year visa on the non-UK passport may imply that the previous nationality may require a similar visa for entry into the UK also. In which case you may not be able to use that passport to board the plane at the US exit point to travel to the UK, thus requiring the use of your UK passport. Can be tricky...
Life is what happens when you are busy making other plans

Dawie
Diamond Member

Re: Dual nationalities

Post by Dawie » Mon May 07, 2007 1:08 pm

global gypsy wrote:
It may not be as simple as that. The fact that there's a 10-year visa on the non-UK passport may imply that the previous nationality may require a similar visa for entry into the UK also. In which case you may not be able to use that passport to board the plane at the US exit point to travel to the UK, thus requiring the use of your UK passport. Can be tricky...
Not at all. It's quite simple. In this situation when you are required to produce evidence of your eligibility to enter/leave the USA you would produce the passport with the US visa in it, and likewise when asked to produce evidence of your eligibility to enter the UK you would produce your UK passport.