ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Schengen, without visa, for same-sex EEA-family member

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

enic
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Schengen, without visa, for same-sex EEA-family member

Post by enic » Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:17 pm

Hi everyone,

Hope someone had a similar situation and can help with advice.
It's quite an immigration conundrum.

My partner and I are in a civil partnership (i.e. same-sex couple) registered in UK.
I'm an EU national and my partner got his FP for 5 years in April 2013.
We have already traveled to Spain visa-free without any problems (just had to educate the Spanish border guards with our Directive printouts, but that's just part of the deal :D ).

Now, we are planning a trip to visit some friends in Vienna and were thinking of visiting Bratislava as well.
Both Austria and Slovakia are in Schengen, neither needs a visa for non-EEA family member judging from the embassy websites, however only Austria acknowledges same sex relationships, Slovakia does not.

If we first fly to Austria without visa and then try to go back to UK through Slovakia, would it cause a problem that my partner's passport is not stamped, as per Slovakia law our civil partnership is not recognized as a relationship?
Any similar experience out there?

Any comments much appreciated! Thanks!

chaoclive
Diamond Member
Ireland

Re: Schengen, without visa, for same-sex EEA-family member

Post by chaoclive » Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:35 am

Not sure how they would deal with this. If you think it might be a problem, why not learn from another country to avoid any hassle whatsoever, e.g. Prague or Budapest.

I'd advise an email to the Slovakian Embassy before you make further plans. Tell them the exact situation and see how they respond!

Don't forget to post your findings back here!

Good luck with it :)