ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

UK Ancestry Visa and working in Guernsey - Help please!

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Budgie
Newly Registered

UK Ancestry Visa and working in Guernsey - Help please!

Post by Budgie » Thu May 10, 2007 3:54 pm

I cannot get any sensible information on this!
I have a grandparent who was born in the U.K. and am eligible for a UK Ancestry Visa, BUT... The job I have lined up to support myself is in the Channel Islands. - I intend to work there & have my family living in South Eastern England whilst I live with them 50% of the time.

Can anyone tell me if that is good enough to satisfy the immigration people? I don't want to apply & have it fail (& lose the fee). The alternative is that I be "farmed out" by a U.K. firm, but I need to act as quickly as can..

Any ideas?

Siggi

Post by Siggi » Thu May 10, 2007 8:59 pm

As far as I know you need a work permit to work on all the Channel Isands.
This you should be able to get from the company for whom you wish to work.

So that I'm very clear on this, it means you need your Ancestral visa first and then a seperate work permit from which ever Channel Island you choose to work on.

rooi_ding

Post by rooi_ding » Thu May 10, 2007 10:09 pm

this is a link I found on google, probably best to do a bit more reseach. It would seem Ancestral Visa are fine to use to work in the Channel Islands. So you only need your Ancestral visa and not a Work Permit

http://www.hays.com/jobs/ogier/00365Liv ... ginGsy.pdf

Siggi

Post by Siggi » Thu May 10, 2007 11:21 pm

My last posting was incorrect, you do not need a work permit plus your Ancestral Visa.
I have double checked this on a Jersey web site and it clearly states you require no further permission to work on Jersey/Channel Islands other than your Ancetral visa.
Good luck and sorry that I may have miss lead you a bit earlier.

Budgie
Newly Registered

Post by Budgie » Thu May 10, 2007 11:54 pm

Thanks for the replies!

The question must have been a bit unclear..
1) I am NOT in the UK now.
2) I DO now have a job (starting soon) in Guernsey.
3) I DO have a work permit to work there organised.
4) I DON'T have an ancestral VISA (about to apply - I am eligible except the JOB I have is in Guernsey)
5) I DO want my family & I to move to the UK (South Eastern England) whilst I commute to work in the Islands.

My question is:
"is working in the Channel Islands good enough for them to grant my Ancestral Visa?
The High commission here is still thinking about an answer & I don't want to lose my Fee!

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Fri May 11, 2007 3:16 am

Budgie wrote:Thanks for the replies!

The question must have been a bit unclear..
1) I am NOT in the UK now.
2) I DO now have a job (starting soon) in Guernsey.
3) I DO have a work permit to work there organised.
4) I DON'T have an ancestral VISA (about to apply - I am eligible except the JOB I have is in Guernsey)
5) I DO want my family & I to move to the UK (South Eastern England) whilst I commute to work in the Islands.

My question is:
"is working in the Channel Islands good enough for them to grant my Ancestral Visa?
The High commission here is still thinking about an answer & I don't want to lose my Fee!
The issues to think about are:

1. A standard UK Ancestry visa may be acceptable in Guernsey. However you really need to ask the Guernsey authorities.

2. On top of your Ancestry Visa, you will need a "Right to Work" document under the Guernsey housing/employment control laws. Can you get this?

3. Important - if you are going to work in Guernsey, do you know if you will be eligible for Indefinite Leave for Remain (in the UK) after 5 years. Time in the Channel Islands does count the same as in the UK for naturalisation, but it may not count for ILR (the immigration and nationality rules are different). You probably need expert legal advice on this point as it could be a very expensive mistake.

Budgie
Newly Registered

Post by Budgie » Fri May 11, 2007 4:02 am

JAJ wrote:
The issues to think about are:

1. A standard UK Ancestry visa may be acceptable in Guernsey. However you really need to ask the Guernsey authorities.

2. On top of your Ancestry Visa, you will need a "Right to Work" document under the Guernsey housing/employment control laws. Can you get this?

3. Important - if you are going to work in Guernsey, do you know if you will be eligible for Indefinite Leave for Remain (in the UK) after 5 years. Time in the Channel Islands does count the same as in the UK for naturalisation, but it may not count for ILR (the immigration and nationality rules are different). You probably need expert legal advice on this point as it could be a very expensive mistake.
Thanks JAJ but The question still remains...

I have the right to work in the channel Islands - that is all being arranged by my employer, I don't NEED the UK Ancestry Visa to be working there, but I WANT the Ancestry Visa so I can base my family in England.
The question is *** will I be granted an Ancestral Visa based on having a job in the Balliwick of Guernsey - As opposed to "seeking employment in the UK"?***
So myself and my family can be based in England.

I will be putting in an application in the next day or so at the High Commission, where I currently reside, and I don't want to lose the fee, and then have to resubmit it based on a job in the U.K. :-)

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Fri May 11, 2007 5:03 am

Budgie wrote: I have the right to work in the channel Islands - that is all being arranged by my employer, I don't NEED the UK Ancestry Visa to be working there, but I WANT the Ancestry Visa so I can base my family in England.
The question is *** will I be granted an Ancestral Visa based on having a job in the Balliwick of Guernsey - As opposed to "seeking employment in the UK"?***
So myself and my family can be based in England.
Short answer - don't know. And to be honest, I doubt anyone on an online forum is going to know.

But you don't appear to be considering a much more important question. Can you get Indefinite Leave to Remain in the UK after 5 years if you have been working in Guernsey.

If the answer is no, then you and your family are heading for serious problems a few years down the line, unless your plans to live in Britain are short term only.

Dawie
Diamond Member

Post by Dawie » Fri May 11, 2007 10:31 am

The only work requirement for obtaining an ancestry visa is:

"you are able to work and intend to do so in the UK"

If you read that carefully you can see that you only need the intention to work in the UK. You do not need to demonstrate that you already have a job offer.
In a few years time we'll look back on immigration control like we look back on American prohibition in the thirties - futile and counter-productive.