ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

French Schengen Visa

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

French Schengen Visa

Post by Wanderer » Thu May 10, 2007 10:32 pm

Was someone asking?

Anyway, my mate just got one for his non-EU missus (she's Russian) just this week, from French Consulate, by post returned within the week. Five month one too.

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru
Location: does not matter if you are with your EEA family member

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Fri May 11, 2007 7:28 am

Can you expand on the reasons this is interesting? :D

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Fri May 11, 2007 8:07 am

Directive/2004/38/EC wrote:Can you expand on the reasons this is interesting? :D
Cos it seems every post in this forum is about problems getting a Schengen visa or an appointment for one!

So maybe try the French route if you need one quick!

clairey

Post by clairey » Fri May 11, 2007 11:44 am

That's fine if you can apply by post, but if you live in London they won't allow you to apply that way - you have to go down the appointment route (and spend a fortune on the appointment booking number, followed by losing a day at work).

How I wish I was from another EU state - not only would my husband not need an appointment to get a Schengen visa, we also wouldn't have had to pay a small fortune in UK visa fees!! It's just not fair :(

GGS
Newly Registered

Post by GGS » Fri May 11, 2007 12:02 pm

clairey wrote:That's fine if you can apply by post, but if you live in London they won't allow you to apply that way - you have to go down the appointment route (and spend a fortune on the appointment booking number, followed by losing a day at work).

How I wish I was from another EU state - not only would my husband not need an appointment to get a Schengen visa, we also wouldn't have had to pay a small fortune in UK visa fees!! It's just not fair :(
It does appear that to only allow a local national the joy of not needing an appointment, and that a UK citizen is denied the same right as a fellow EU citizen is descriminatory or even dearly beloved?.

Docterror
United Kingdom

Post by Docterror » Fri May 11, 2007 12:24 pm

clairey wrote:How I wish I was from another EU state - not only would my husband not need an appointment to get a Schengen visa, we also wouldn't have had to pay a small fortune in UK visa fees!!
The funny part is that I know people who wish their EEA family member was a British citizen so that they could get naturalised after 3 years and then stop worrying about applying for any EU visas altogether. But that admittedly was before the fees hikes. Not likely they share the same view now.

But, doesn't the family member of other EU Member state also need appointments for applying for the Schengen visa?.. unless they are from that particular Member state? And even then some embassies donot allow their own citizen's spouses to apply without an appointment.
Jabi

virtual-writer

Post by virtual-writer » Fri May 11, 2007 12:37 pm

Docterror wrote: But, doesn't the family member of other EU Member state also need appointments for applying for the Schengen visa?.. unless they are from that particular Member state? And even then some embassies donot allow their own citizen's spouses to apply without an appointment.
That is true. Family members of EU citizens have to get an appointment too.

clairey

Post by clairey » Fri May 11, 2007 1:15 pm

I know through my friends that if you are a Non-EU family member of a Dutch Citizen applying for a Schengen visa from the Dutch embassy, you do not need an appointment and your visa will be processed there and then!

virtual-writer

Post by virtual-writer » Fri May 11, 2007 1:29 pm

clairey wrote:I know through my friends that if you are a Non-EU family member of a Dutch Citizen applying for a Schengen visa from the Dutch embassy, you do not need an appointment and your visa will be processed there and then!
If you live outside of London you can also go to a local Dutch consulate without expensive appointment booking, no 090 number. You can do that whether the EU citizen is Dutch or not.

But most other embassies require you to come to them in London by phoning their 090 appointment booking line :x

Docterror
United Kingdom

Post by Docterror » Fri May 11, 2007 3:40 pm

Some countries do give such exceptions to their citizens and sometimes they extend it to other EU citizens and their family members as well. But this is not because they are a part of the EU. This has more to do with how the countries prefer to treat their own citizens, rather than discriminate against other EU citizens and their family members or any other nationals.

This is not to be taken as I concuring with the policy of EU citizens having to dial expensive numbers to get visa appointments as it goes against the very fabric of the basic right of free movement which is one of the oldest achievements of the EU.
Jabi