ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British Passport Application-traveling during process

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

kerbey
Newly Registered

British Passport Application-traveling during process

Post by kerbey » Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:32 am

Hi,

I was told today at the Post Office that I can put a cover letter in my application saying that I need to travel in 3 weeks and it might help get my current (US) passport back while I wait for my British passport application to be processed. This is because I am scheduled to travel to the US. But, today I called the passport helpline just to confirm and they said I should not travel during the entire 6 week process. Obviously someone is incorrect. Anyone know the answer?

Thanks

Just Wondering

Re: British Passport Application-traveling during process

Post by Just Wondering » Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:31 am

kerbey wrote:Hi,

I was told today at the Post Office that I can put a cover letter in my application saying that I need to travel in 3 weeks and it might help get my current (US) passport back while I wait for my British passport application to be processed. This is because I am scheduled to travel to the US. But, today I called the passport helpline just to confirm and they said I should not travel during the entire 6 week process. Obviously someone is incorrect. Anyone know the answer?

Thanks
The Home Office person is repeating the official government line which is that it takes at least 6 weeks to process a passport application and therefore you should not book travel until the process is complete. The Post Office person was trying to be helpful and perhaps your application would be expedited if the Home Office worker know you need it - but the Home Office will never confirm this works. They are very clear on all their documentation that they do not guarantee you will have your passport returned or issued within a certain time period.

From the passport timeline, it seems that most passports are being processed within 3 weeks, but there are always exceptions for whatever reason. Obviously, you can travel once you get your documents back.

Best of luck.