ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

spouse of a british citizen moving to dublin

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

weescotsman
Newly Registered

spouse of a british citizen moving to dublin

Post by weescotsman » Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:06 am

I am trying to get info on the process of bringing my non eu wife to live with me in ireland. My wife now is in peru and i am in scotland.... i applied at the embassy in lima and now her application was unsuccessful and were awaiting on the decisions as to why. Would it be easier for me to take employment in ireland and apply for the eea family permit. We have been together for 5 years and married for 3. I waz recently in peru and had to come back to the uk for work so i could meet the financial requirement. So my question would be

Is it easy to bring my wife to ireland when im there and working.
How long is the process for applying for the eea permit.
If my wife is approved can travel with me around europe.

chaoclive
Diamond Member
Ireland

Re: spouse of a british citizen moving to dublin

Post by chaoclive » Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:19 am

Which visa was refused? The UK spouse visa or an entry permit (equivalent of the EEA Family Permit) for Ireland?

1) It's easy if you are working in Ireland, but you will have to provide some information to the Embassy to show that you are already working and living in Ireland. This shouldn't be very taxing if you can find a job. I'd recommend you searching for "Surinder Singh via Ireland" on Google and on this site. There are some great posts on here, British Expats, UKLGIG and Surinder Singh Route. These are website names. I don't have their addresses to hand (i'm on my phone).

2) The process should be quite quick; the guidance on the Irish Immigration and Naturalization Service states that it should be processed within 4 weeks (though I don't see this as being quick!!). The application is free. Search for a document called: "Processing of applications for visas by persons applying as family members of EU citizens exercising or planning to exercise free movement rights under directive 2004/38/ec". This is the guidance for visa officers. All the details are provided here. Don't hesitate to quote this document when dealing with the Irish embassy overseas.

3) I'd say take one step at a time...get the Irish entry visa sorted first and worry about this later! But, yes, when your wife has a residence card and stamp 4EUFAM she (in theory) should be able to travel around Europe with you visa free (of course she will need an Irish re-entry visa - yes...check it out if you don't believe me).

Hope this helps a bit.
CC

357mag
Member of Standing
Bulgaria

Post by 357mag » Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:00 am

Your wife will be able to join you straight away when you are in Ireland, just by appling online for a visitor visa.
You need to be working within 3 months and will need to get a tenancy to prove address. The EEA route can take over 6 months but its a lot cheaper that UK spouse visa route.
Keep as much documentary evidence as you can. Dont forget to change address on driving licence, personally I recomend transfering to Irish licence, can be done if you have UK photo licence for 55 euros.
Tenancies in Ireland are supposed to be registered with PTRB which you need the letter as eveidence of, you will need to apply for PPS number equivilent to N.I. number. Self employed is harder to prove and get evidence of.
You and your wife will be able to stay there for 3 months but to stay longer you need to be a worker, self employer, a student or self sufficient. And you will need to register as being there and apply for extension.
I am not a forum GURU, I am often wrong
Dont take any notice of anything I post, I'm getting old and havn't the foggiest what I'm talking about.

weescotsman
Newly Registered

Post by weescotsman » Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:17 pm

Thanks for the replies, my wife was unsuccessful in the settlement visa in Peru , i supplied as much documentation as i could possibly get, i used my previous employment history and pay stubs as it says i could in the application forms, made around 52000 usd per year so doubtful it was refused because of that plus im working now in the UK making over the 18600 requirement. Feel bad we have lost all that money and having to appeal.... Ive been in contact with the embassy of Ireland and i think the route im going to take now is applying for my wifes tourist visa so she can come here for 6 months and within that 6 months apply for the eea family permit and then go over to dublin. As long as my wife leaves the uk before the 6 months is up she should not be breaking any uk visa rules and overstaying her visa. Is that a good idea to do ?

357mag
Member of Standing
Bulgaria

Post by 357mag » Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:40 pm

Read Jambos' guide
http://www.immigrationboards.com/eea-ro ... 14867.html

Your wife will enter Ireland on the tourist visa and you will need to be working within 3 months to be exercising treaty rights.
Dont take any notice of anything I post, I'm getting old and havn't the foggiest what I'm talking about.

weescotsman
Newly Registered

Post by weescotsman » Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:50 pm

Thank you, will definetly be reading this tonight, im hoping ill have her here by feb 25th

357mag
Member of Standing
Bulgaria

Post by 357mag » Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:01 am

Thing to remember is you are not using any nations immigration rules, you are going to be using treaty rights an an immigrant worker. The requirements are all about you the EEA citizen and nothing to do with your partner. Your partner can be with you no matter where they come from.

weescotsman
Newly Registered

Post by weescotsman » Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:04 am

thank you . So once she has the documents back from the embassy in peru, i will apply for her tourist visa to come to the uk and from there i can apply for the permit to enter ireland and start the process there. Does that sound ok

357mag
Member of Standing
Bulgaria

Post by 357mag » Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:09 am

May work but I'd be worried she might be refused entry to UK without for instance return ticket to Peru, it is likely they will assume intention to stay in UK. Probably better for you to go to Eire and apply for her visitor visa to there and join you.

She would get visitor visa valid for 90 days and could apply online, I think theres a new one on there for join EEA family member.

weescotsman
Newly Registered

Post by weescotsman » Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:12 am

i have a return ticket booked, is for 6 months. We assumed ( wrongly now ) that she would have got the settlement visa. But if anything i can change the dates with the airline. But the ticket will be shy of the 6 months period.
Theres no harm in applying for a tourist visa if the settlement visa was denied right ?

357mag
Member of Standing
Bulgaria

Post by 357mag » Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:16 am

http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages/Ir ... nformation

You seem to be going in a round about route, Peru to UK to Ireland but sure try if thats what you want to do.

It was just crossing my mind that UKBA might be suspicious of her reason to enter UK.
You would be asking if your wife could join a UK citzen in the UK which they might not be happy about. But if you was in Ireland you would be asking for a family member to join an EEA citizen exercising treaty rights, if you see what I mean.
Last edited by 357mag on Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

weescotsman
Newly Registered

Post by weescotsman » Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:20 am

yes i understand sorry lol, just been reading way to many stuff on here. Just thought that the route i was taking would be ok. my wife would be living with me and my family here and not something thats going to be done straight away, maybe after 2 months the wife being in the uk we can apply for entry to ireland thru the proper process. so thanks once again for your help and thanks for the links

357mag
Member of Standing
Bulgaria

Post by 357mag » Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:46 am

Reading through your query again, so you meet the financial requirement and are married. Why dont you just apply for UK spouse visa on FLR(M)? She could join you in Scotland with no need to go to Ireland.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:58 am

A FLR(M) application wouldn't be appropriate as she has no valid visa to enable the extension to Further Leave.
My concern would be that having applied for and been refused a spouse settlement visa, a visitor visa application is unlikely to succeed. Your wife would have to show strong ties to her home country as evidence that she won't overstay. The Irish route looks more promising. However, if you intend to return to the UK from Ireland later under the Surinder Singh route, check the new (and stricter) regulations. You'll need to show that while living in Ireland this had become 'the centre of your life' and may well require a lengthy stay. The first Short stay applications under SS (a few months) since the new ruling was introduced this month have already been refused.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

Jellybean105
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Post by Jellybean105 » Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:21 pm

chaoclive wrote:when your wife has a residence card and stamp 4EUFAM she (in theory) should be able to travel around Europe with you visa free (of course she will need an Irish re-entry visa - yes...check it out if you don't believe me).
CC
You still need to get a re-entry visa even with an Ireland 4EUFAM resident card?
Moved to Ireland: Feb 13
UK FP: Granted November 13
Ireland RC: Granted Feb 14
Returned to the UK: Feb 14
Applied for EEA2: 18th March 14
EEA2 Rejected: October 14 (re-submitted docs)
EEA2 Granted: December 14 (valid till 2019!)

chaoclive
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by chaoclive » Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:15 pm

Not 100% clear; I'm probably wrong..but see the following to clear up any confusion:

http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages/Re-entry%20visas
http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/mo ... eland.html

Anyway...there's no way the OP's wife will have an Irish residence card on arrival in Ireland so, at least until she gets this, she will probably need a re-entry visa (these are free for EEA family members and can be applied for in person or by post).

Hope other people can shed more light on the situation.

weescotsman
Newly Registered

Post by weescotsman » Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:26 pm

In reading a few more threads i think that my option now is to fly out to peru, get the documentation and apply for the eea permit then we can both fly into dublin, i know she wont get the resident card straight away but she can apply in the 3 month visa for it. Got a few more things to sort out and probably be flying there on wednesday. Glad i have a good bit of money saved up, and seen a few jobs that i have emailed and hope to have something set up by the time we get there.

SJ-sat-cit
Newly Registered

Post by SJ-sat-cit » Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:16 pm

Hi Wee Scottsman,

I have been trying to get my Peruvian wife and daughters to the UK for over a year and a half.
I have been through the mill and back even buying tickets which I couldn't get a refund on.

The good news is I found a way through it.

If you need any advice I am here to help. I lived in Peru for 5 years, in Cusco.
Give me some feedback before you go making hasteeeee decisions.... even though Peru is very tempting hahahahaha :roll:

weescotsman
Newly Registered

Post by weescotsman » Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:20 pm

We live in Scotland now. We went to Ireland for 4 months then applied for her family permit to the UK. My wife now has the resident card for the UK now.

weescotsman
Newly Registered

Post by weescotsman » Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:22 am

Im getting private messages, but for some reason I cannot access them on here, says that im not authorised to access them. Can you either message on here or email me at weescotsman1@gmail.com.

kofi000
Newly Registered

Moving to Ireland with my Wife

Post by kofi000 » Fri Aug 12, 2016 6:11 pm

hello Good afternoon
just a quick qeustion, Just finish College in Uk and marride to a UK citizen, we are planing to move yo the Republic of Ireland. So what i want to find out is that as i still have about 6 months visa to stay in the UK when me and my wife moving to Ireland will i need a visa to go with her to Ireland. Please i need help about this.

Thank you

noajthan

Re: Moving to Ireland with my Wife

Post by noajthan » Fri Aug 12, 2016 6:43 pm

kofi000 wrote:hello Good afternoon
just a quick qeustion, Just finish College in Uk and marride to a UK citizen, we are planing to move yo the Republic of Ireland. So what i want to find out is that as i still have about 6 months visa to stay in the UK when me and my wife moving to Ireland will i need a visa to go with her to Ireland. Please i need help about this.

Thank you
What's your nationality?
And what visa do you have now (in UK)?
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

kofi000
Newly Registered

Post by kofi000 » Fri Aug 12, 2016 7:43 pm

Hello

Am a Ghanaian and the visa type is a student visa...Someone told me that me and my wife can show up in Dublin and they will give me an entral stamp, We need to take is the marrige certificate to prove that we are marriage. Is that true?

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:19 pm

kofi000 wrote:Hello

Am a Ghanaian and the visa type is a student visa...Someone told me that me and my wife can show up in Dublin and they will give me an entral stamp, We need to take is the marrige certificate to prove that we are marriage. Is that true?
See https://eumovement.wordpress.com/2010/0 ... to-travel/
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.