ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Knowledge of Language and Life in the UK

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

zia.mohamed
Newly Registered

Knowledge of Language and Life in the UK

Post by zia.mohamed » Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:46 pm

Hi,
As we have to write Life in the UK test before applying for ILR, does my wife would get exemption for knowledge of language test as she have a degree taught in english. Can we get a certificate from UK Naric and apply with the Life in the UK certificate or she has to right knowledge of Language test also.

thanks,

SSWSZ
Member of Standing

Re: Knowledge of Language and Life in the UK

Post by SSWSZ » Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:56 pm

U need both life in uk and English test . For English test degree is fine but life in uk is must there is no other option for that
ss

worldpeace

Post by worldpeace » Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:09 pm

Hi,
I am going for ILR Premium service on 30th Jan using SET(O) form on Tier1 General route. I have proven 5 years ago when applying for my Tier1 that my degree was taught in the English language. Also during my Visa extension, I was not required to present any documentation in this regard.
However in the wake of new changes to KOL, would I be required to present a certificate from NARIC/pass the IELTS or TOEFL exam?
Anyone who recently went through similar experience, could you please guide me.
Thanks,
Sonal

WR1

Post by WR1 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:13 pm

If you have evidence deemed from NARIC (degree taught in English) that you used 5 years ago, then you can simply use that again for your ILR.

You do not need to take any additional tests.
I am not an immigration adviser
Any views expressed are my own opinion and should not be considered as legal advice
No liability is accepted for the content and for the consequences of any actions taken on the basis of the information provided

worldpeace

Post by worldpeace » Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:16 am

No, I dont have any letter from NARIC yet for this.
5 years ago, they used to check from their database of Universities abroad, and if my Universiy appeared in their list, it was fine. Also I had presented a letter each from my College and University both stating that my Degree was taught in the English language.
I didnt require a NARIC letter at that point of time.
Would the experts please suggest if I need to take a NARIC letter now or would the evidence provided at my first Tier1 application for medium of Indstruction as English for my Degree be enough?
Thanks,
Sonal

john353

Post by john353 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:08 am

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/visas ... nstrating/

Evidence of knowledge of Language and Life in the UK required of all settlement and naturalisation applicants

A letter confirming success in the life in the UK Test, stamped and signed by the Test Supervisor; and either

A certificate showing that you have a speaking and listening qualification in English at B1CEFR or higher, or an equivalent level qualification; or

If you have a degree taught in English:
A printout from the points-based calculator confirming the equivalent level of your degree and the level of English; or
If your degree is not on the points-based calculator, an original letter and/or certificate from UK NARIC confirming the equivalent level of the qualification, and an original letter from the university or awarding institution on official headed paper confirming your name, the title of the degree, and showing the qualification was taught in English; or
A certificate from the university or awarding institution on official headed paper confirming that the qualification was taught or researched in a majority English speaking country (other than Canada); or
If you are awaiting graduation, or no longer have your certificate and cannot get a new one, you must send either:
an original academic reference from the institution awarding the academic qualification, that is on official letter headed paper and shows your name and the title of the award. The letter should also explain when the academic qualification was, or will be awarded; and state either the date (if you have not yet graduated) that the certificate will be issued, or confirms that the institution is unable to re-issue the original certificate of award; or
an original academic transcript that is on official letter-headed paper and shows your name, the name of the academic institution, the course title, and confirmation of the award; or

Your passport showing that you are a national of a majority English speaking country; or
A letter from a medical practitioner to show that you should be exempt on the grounds of poor physical and/or mental health; or
(For naturalisation applicants outside of the United Kingdom) evidence as directed by the office of the Lieutenant-Governor, the office of the Governor, the British Embassy, the British High Commission, or the British Consulate.