ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

US Visitor applying for Tier 1 (Entrepreneur)

Only for UK Tier 1 (Entrepreneur) points system. This route is now closed to new applicants.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Kirodoc
Newly Registered

US Visitor applying for Tier 1 (Entrepreneur)

Post by Kirodoc » Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:14 pm

I'm having trouble finding information for my situation. I'm a US citizen visiting the UK with my wife and 2 children and didn't get a visa. US citizens are allowed 6 months, requiring no visa. I'm not sure what category this puts me in, for consideration to switch to a Tier 1 Visa. Am I allowed to do his from within the UK? I checked all over the website for categories that allow to switch form within the UK, but I'm not exactly sure what category I'm actually in. I'm worrying that I will have to leave the UK to apply for the Tier 1 visa and I really don't want to have to do that.

Other relevant info that might help. I have a Doctorate of Chiropractic, from the US, but I have not applied to practice here in the UK as of yet. Since we will be opening a business that isn't necessarily chiropractic, it's not critical that I get licensed. I'm not sure if simply having the advanced degree is beneficial.

We've only been here about 2 months, so we have 4 months left before we have to leave again. Any guidance into how to best facilitate this would be much appreciated.

Choc-Ice
Nigeria

Re: US Visitor applying for Tier 1 (Entrepreneur)

Post by Choc-Ice » Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:25 pm

You cannot apply if you're here on a visitor's visa.. (See below)

Can you switch into Tier 1 (Entrepreneur)?
If you already have permission to stay in the UK under any of the following categories, you can apply to Tier 1 (Entrepreneur) from inside the UK:

Tier 1 (General);
Tier 1 (Investor);
Tier 1 (Post-study work);
Tier 1 (Graduate entrepreneur);
business person;
innovator;
Highly Skilled Migrant Programme;
student;
student nurse;
student re-sitting an examination;
student writing up a thesis;
work permit holder;
postgraduate doctor or dentist;
self-employed lawyer;
writer, composer or artist;
investor;
International Graduates Scheme (or its predecessor, the Science & Engineering Graduate Scheme);
Fresh Talent: Working in Scotland Scheme;
Tier 2;
Tier 4; or
prospective entrepreneur.
The following categories can only apply if you have access to at least £50,000:

Tier 4;
student nurse;
student;
student re-sitting an examination; or
postgraduate doctor or dentist.
IMpossible is 2 letters to long!

Choc-Ice
Nigeria

Post by Choc-Ice » Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:26 pm

You cannot apply if you're here on a visitor's visa.. (See below)

Can you switch into Tier 1 (Entrepreneur)?
If you already have permission to stay in the UK under any of the following categories, you can apply to Tier 1 (Entrepreneur) from inside the UK:

Tier 1 (General);
Tier 1 (Investor);
Tier 1 (Post-study work);
Tier 1 (Graduate entrepreneur);
business person;
innovator;
Highly Skilled Migrant Programme;
student;
student nurse;
student re-sitting an examination;
work permit holder;
postgraduate doctor or dentist;
self-employed lawyer;
writer, composer or artist;
investor;
International Graduates Scheme (or its predecessor, the Science & Engineering Graduate Scheme);
Fresh Talent: Working in Scotland Scheme;
Tier 2;
Tier 4; or
prospective entrepreneur.
The following categories can only apply if you have access to at least £50,000:

Tier 4;
student nurse;
student;
student re-sitting an examination; or
postgraduate doctor or dentist.

Kirodoc
Newly Registered

Post by Kirodoc » Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:48 pm

OK, this is what I suspected and was afraid of. I wasn't sure what we were considered to have. I gather we can apply from outside the UK, but do we have to apply from our home country?

Also, does anyone have a service to facilitate this that they could recommend? We want this done ASAP, so I think that is the best route.

fcinldn
Newly Registered

Post by fcinldn » Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:53 pm

Kirodoc wrote:OK, this is what I suspected and was afraid of. I wasn't sure what we were considered to have. I gather we can apply from outside the UK, but do we have to apply from our home country?

Also, does anyone have a service to facilitate this that they could recommend? We want this done ASAP, so I think that is the best route.
I think so. If you are applying from outside the UK you will need to apply from where you are normally a resident. Your application will actually get processed faster from outside the UK so it's a good option.

cpmlkhan
Member of Standing

Post by cpmlkhan » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:14 pm

Hello Kirodoc,

As far as I know Definitely you have to apply from US because you are a visitor in UK. you are worrying about the funds to show but unfortunately there is no other option for you.

Kirodoc
Newly Registered

Post by Kirodoc » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:27 pm

OK, I finally found some info I was looking for. I will for sure have to be in the US for Biometrics. Other than that and submitting my application in New York, does anyone know if I have to await confirmation in the US? Can I be traveling around say, Europe or even come back to the UK as a visitor (if my 6 months isn't up) while I await to hear about a decision.

What about the rest of my family? Would my wife have to do the same or is she and my children covered under the Tier 1 (Entrepreneur) visa?

Thanks to all for your responses. This was a bit unexpected and sudden and we have a time crunch and it's the weekend at night, so this seems the only source of info.

Choc-Ice
Nigeria

Post by Choc-Ice » Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:37 am

Kirodoc wrote:OK, I finally found some info I was looking for. I will for sure have to be in the US for Biometrics. Other than that and submitting my application in New York, does anyone know if I have to await confirmation in the US? Can I be traveling around say, Europe or even come back to the UK as a visitor (if my 6 months isn't up) while I await to hear about a decision.

What about the rest of my family? Would my wife have to do the same or is she and my children covered under the Tier 1 (Entrepreneur) visa?

Thanks to all for your responses. This was a bit unexpected and sudden and we have a time crunch and it's the weekend at night, so this seems the only source of info.
You will definitely not be able to enter the UK while you have a pending application..Incase you don't know, you will be required to submit a VALID passport with the application. The process is normally faster when you apply outside the country..ie USA ..As soon as you are granted, you can apply for your dependents- they should all be granted.. :wink:

Kirodoc
Newly Registered

Post by Kirodoc » Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:09 pm

Thank you very much for that information. I appreciate the help. :)