ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Non UK EHIC as evidence

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Annie77
Newly Registered

Non UK EHIC as evidence

Post by Annie77 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:04 pm

Background: I am a European national, married a British Citizen in 2007, delivered our daughter in 2008 and I stayed home with her. My husband has a good job, we never applied for benefits ( except child benefit) and we own a house with no mortgage. I did not examine the laws thoroughly and relied on the info what I found on Border Agency's website, which discouraged me from applying for a spouse visa as I am a European national. I did not investigate the matter further, and I and my husband just assumed that I can live in the UK freely. Later on I've found out that my status is a self sufficient person, oddly enough, and I was supposed to have CSI. I applied for an EHIC card in my home country ( Hungary) and I got one. It does not have a start date though, just an expiry date. My question is would it cover the past 5 years period? The card was issued for 3 years ( but only I know that as there is no start date on the card itself.) Technically I did not have the card during my UK residency, but I had the cover as a European national in my home country. There is no way they would give me the card retrospectively. I also tried to obtain some proof of my cover back in Hungary, and as a response they issued me a form E101. I am not sure if it is the appropriate form. I also had some private health insurance in the UK but it does not cover the whole 5 years. I would like to obtain a PR confirmation as I feel a bit threatened by the latest political sentiments.

Jambo
Respected Guru

Re: Non UK EHIC as evidence

Post by Jambo » Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:17 pm

The HO might know that an Hungarian EHIC is only valid for 3 years (but maybe not).

I don't think you should be worried about the political talk. I doubt it will affect people already in the country but for a piece of mind, just apply. Worst case, you contributed £55 to the treasury.
Check the FAQ before posting!
Citizenship (adults, children, passport)
EEA (EEA FP, RC, PR, Surinder Singh)

Annie77
Newly Registered

Re: Non UK EHIC as evidence

Post by Annie77 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:56 am

Thank you very much for replying to my question! I am wondering if anybody has ever challenged the CSI criteria for economically inactive European nationals married to British citizens. I feel discriminated as I am not treated the same way as British citizen housewives or non European housewives or European housewives with European husbands. They do not need to take out extra insurance, but I am forced to do that. I would like to team up with people in similar situation and find some legal solution to the problem. I am not sure what is the exact route, petition, UK Court, or European Court. Any suggestions would be appreciated.