ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

UK fiance visa: the definitive guide

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

tom83cat
Newly Registered

UK fiance visa: the definitive guide

Post by tom83cat » Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:33 pm

I am not sure if I am being a bit over ambitious by calling this a “definitive guide”, but I thought that I should write about my experiences in our successful application for a UK fiancé visa. By fiancé visa I mean that you have to intend to marry IN THE UK within the permitted time (6 months from date of issue of the visa). You cannot get married in another country before you arrive and doing so causes a whole heap of problems.

Firstly, I should explain that I am the sponsor, but I was heavily involved in all of the completion of this application. In fact the only thing that I didn’t have a part in was the cover letter written by my fiancé. All of the information in this post is personal experience and knowledge gained from various forums and also from speaking to the UKBA directly. I couldn’t possibly provide you with the phone number for the office that takes care of these applications, because I shouldn’t have it and I wouldn’t want it to be abused. But I can assure you that I spoke to them on a number of occasions asking various questions that I couldn’t find answers to that were specific to my circumstances. I found that even the UKBA officers can be a little confused about things and some of them are better than others.

Although we managed to get the whole thing done in 20 days (from day of starting application to receiving the visa using Worldbridge) I would strongly recommend that you DO NOT LEAVE THIS UNTIL THE LAST MINUTE because it will save you a lot of stress and sleepless nights. Obviously, the UKBA don’t leave applicants much of a window by only allowing you to submit it within three months of the intended date of arrival in the UK. But you should take this into account and plan around that requirement.

One of my first questions at the start of this process was “What do I need to include in the application?” because the UKBA website is useless at explaining this. So here is what was in our application pack….

What you need to send:
• Applicant Passport (original and photo copy of biometric page)
• Application form (online)
• Cover letters from applicant and sponsor (each written separately)
• Sponsors declaration form
• Appendix 2
• Copy of sponsors passport
• Decree absolute if applicable (original and photo copy)
• Evidence of a lasting relationship
o Photos
o Air fares
o Emails
o Skype / Facetime history
o Phone bills
• Evidence of wanting to get married
o Reservations
o Emails of enquiry
o Booking for wedding licence
o Photos / Receipts for rings
• Sponsors financial evidence
o 6 months payslips (or a letter from employer)
o 6 months bank statements (include notes of explanation for large sums)
• Sponsors evidence to provide accommodation
o Land registry print out
o Council tax bill
o Tenancy agreement if renting
• Prepaid return envelope for return of original documents
• Worldbridge receipt if applicable (put it on the very top)

Ok, so now you have the list. Please, if anyone spots any mistakes or anything glaringly obvious that I have left out, let me know and I will amend it.

Now let us look at some of those things in a little bit more detail…..

Applicant Passport: This need to be an original and in date document along with a couple of photo copies of the biometrics page and any existing visas etc. You don’t need to copy the whole thing cover to cover and it doesn’t need to be notarised. We did ours on a 3-in-1 inkjet printer/scanner. If you have more than one passport, send those too. The UKBA want to know where you have been and if you have declared travel that doesn’t show up on the passport that you sent to them, they will want to know about it and it could delay your application.

Application form: This was done online, paid for and then printed out to be sent to UKBA in Sheffield. Yes, Sheffield…. not New York.

Cover letters: These need to be written individually and independently. It doesn’t matter if they contain almost exactly the same information. That is expected and inevitable because after all you are both telling the same story. DO NOT look up examples online or you will fall into the trap of following its format which will be identified by the immigration officer and will make alarm bells go off. Make sure it is personal, not official/robotic and make sure you are honest with yourself (and talking more to the gentlemen here) make sure you talk about love and what you both hope for the future. Sponsors should also reiterate that they support the application and that they intend to support the applicant financially. A note for sponsors, I signed my letter, scanned it as a PDF and sent it for the applicant to print out and there were no issues with that.

The Sponsors declaration form and Appendix 2 are both self explanatory. You will be provided with links to them both upon completion of the online application. If you miss the links, they can both be found on the UKBA website. The sponsors declaration needs to be the original signed document.

Copy of sponsors passport: Cover to cover. That means every page, even if they are blank. I did mine in colour at a copy shop while I was in California. It wasn’t notarised and I only sent one copy. Obviously, this could make things infinitely easier because it could be scanned as a PDF and sent to the applicant instead of paying postage to send reams of documents to your fiancé. In fact, pretty much everything can be sent by email apart from the signed sponsors declaration and decree absolute if applicable.

Decree absolute: This, apart from the applicant passport, is the only original document that we sent. With photocopies of course.

Evidence of a lasting relationship: You have to have met and be able to provide evidence of this with photos together, with friends, with family. Also, you should evidence in the way of e-tickets for flights to see each other. Any correspondence between each other is useful, such as hand written letters, or card, or receipts for gifts (we included email invoices for flowers that I sent and Amazon orders). For emails, we sent “print screens” of an inbox search for the other persons name. This saves printing out all of the emails but it shows that you have been emailing each other. Print screens for Skype or Facetime call history is good. Think about Facebook because it is open source information that the UKBA can check and nearly everyone uses it, so if you are shown as engaged to each other on there, provide that too.

Evidence of wanting to get married: I would like to dispel a myth that I found on a lot of forums… IT IS POSSIBLE TO BOOK A WEDDING LICENCE APPOINTMENT. It can be a real pain to do, but I managed it. You will have to contact a designated registry office for this, and some of them won’t let you. For instance, Leicester won’t, but Dartford will. Some counties require you to have a wedding venue booked already, but some venues won’t let you book a wedding until the wedding licence appointment is booked. The easiest thing to do is find a designated office that will let you make the booking for the licence and get married there too. They will provide you with an email with confirmation which is worth its weight in gold in your application. If you struggle with getting your wedding licence appointment, you can request a letter from the superintendent registrar which will prove that you have enquired but that they aren’t able to provide you with the appointment until the applicant arrives in the UK. Beyond this, include photos or receipts for rings, invoices for wedding receptions, wedding cakes, dresses, tuxedos, etc.

Sponsors financial evidence: 6 months of payslips and 6 months of bank statements. Mine were all available online in PDF format so I just emailed them to the applicant. I also included a P60, but it wasn’t required. Again, nothing was notarised, just printed on an inkjet printer. I was told by the UKBA that if I didn’t have 6 months of payslips that I could include a letter from my employer stating my terms of employment and my salary. I didn’t ask anything about that because it wasn’t applicable to me. Make sure you attach explanatory notes to the front of your bank statement to explain any unusual transactions or movements of large quantities of money. Do not worry if you go into your overdraft each month. I was doing this by up to £400 on some occasions, but as long as it is cleared each month when you get paid I think it will be ok.

Sponsors accommodation: I think this is simple enough. A land registry printout if you own your home, which is available on the land registry website and doesn’t cost much. Other forms of evidence would be a mortgage statement, council tax bill, or tenancy agreement if you are renting. There seems to be some debate over addresses being over crowded or not fit for purpose. If this is the case for you, I would suggest you have other issues and should look at other peoples’ posts about obtaining official reports about your accommodation.

Prepaid return envelope: Some people have run into problems doing this, being unable to find a service that provides this service. What I did was create an account on FedEx UK and paid for postage from UKBA Sheffield back to the applicant. I then saved the postage slip as a PDF and sent it to the applicant to print out and put on an envelope. FedEx don’t charge you until the postage slip is scanned on collection, which is great, because from what I have read of other peoples experience (now including my own) the UKBA just send it back using their own FedEx account. So I didn’t get charged!

Worldbridge: I used them and it meant the turn around on it was just 20 days. I have no idea if using worldbridge means that the application is put under any less scrutiny and I cannot tell you how long your application will take to process. All I can offer is my experience, what I did and that it led to a successful application.

Well that’s it….. I hope it will prove useful so at least one person can benefit from it.

Comments and suggestions are always welcome. If anyone has questions I will try my best to answer but pretty much all that I know about fiancé visa applications is written above.

Toodle pip.

Rayking

Re: UK fiance visa: the definitive guide

Post by Rayking » Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:36 am

Tom83,
Thanks for your guide but you obviously left view bits and I don't know if you got your visa without those omissions?
For instance English language requirements, letter from landlord that your fiancee can stay in the house with you,you said P60 isn't required but I think it's even more valid bcos with that's how you can proof you meet the financial requirement of 18600,and recently they just added TB test certificate.
I don't know where your fiancée applied from or when,but I think there has been some slight changes or it could be an oversight. However you've done a good job!

tom83cat
Newly Registered

Post by tom83cat » Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:21 pm

Ray,

I think for people needing TB test, language test, letters from a landlord, letter from employer where less than 6 months employment.... those are all pretty obvious requirements stated on the UKBA website and those people will know who they are.

I was writing the guide with the primary intentions of clearing up the grey areas inbetween, particularly the "evidence of a lasting relationship" requirement. Also, the notarised copies myth, and the part about people not being able to get appointments for wedding licences.

If you wish to add to this post with specifics about other special requirements, feel free to take the time like I did to explain.

Yes, my fiance has her visa... and it took just 20 days.

claraluh
United Kingdom

Post by claraluh » Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:43 pm

Tom83cat Thanks a million for the post, it will definitely help me a lot in applying for a fiance visa for my fiance. :D

marty

Post by marty » Sun Feb 22, 2015 2:30 pm

Tom83cat Thanks a lot for your post it will help me loads to make my application for the fiance visa. Ive got a few questions even thought your post is very helpful; question 1: if i dont have my previous passports in the application do i need to explain why ? Question 2: Do home office can track records of my previous visa (working holiday maker) back in 2004 cause i dont have my previous passport and i cant write down on the application form the issuing number of that visa? Question 3: wondering if embassy send back all documents after the visa is issued? i worry to lose stuff and i want them back.

thank you loads.

zoomerlon
Newly Registered

Post by zoomerlon » Tue Aug 04, 2015 3:58 pm

Hi Tom83cat.

Is it necessary to state why certain amounts are being paid out of your account with regards to the bank statements?

Thanks

Jonathan

heidi88

Post by heidi88 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 4:17 pm

I am so confused. Been talking to lawyer all day hearing different things.
Me and my fiance want to get married in March. I am in the UK on a family visit visa at the moment and planning to go back to Egypt on the 24 of october to apply for a fiance visa (because we cant get married now with a family visit). My fiance makes 17,111 a year and he is getting an increase in salary soon (he can provide a letter from employer). I have savings in a bank account in the uk for the past 2 years with 20,000 in the account never been less than that. In addition i have a confirmed job offer. and savings in Egypt as well.
And we are renting together (so we already have been living together)
I tried to give notice for marriage but they said i cant unless i have the right visa, they said they can only send me an email saying i booked an appointment.
does it have to be 18,600 for him only (cant it be both together, me and him, so his salary (employment 17,111 plus my 20,000 savings)? is there any way around this.

Can some one please help us. We really dont want to be apart! :(
thanks in advance.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Tue Sep 22, 2015 4:23 pm

heidi88 wrote:I am so confused. Been talking to lawyer all day hearing different things.
Me and my fiance want to get married in March. I am in the UK on a family visit visa at the moment and planning to go back to Egypt on the 24 of october to apply for a fiance visa (because we cant get married now with a family visit). My fiance makes 17,111 a year and he is getting an increase in salary soon (he can provide a letter from employer). I have savings in a bank account in the uk for the past 2 years with 20,000 in the account never been less than that. In addition i have a confirmed job offer. and savings in Egypt as well.
And we are renting together (so we already have been living together)
I tried to give notice for marriage but they said i cant unless i have the right visa, they said they can only send me an email saying i booked an appointment.
does it have to be 18,600 for him only (cant it be both together, me and him, so his salary (employment 17,111 plus my 20,000 savings)? is there any way around this.

Can some one please help us. We really dont want to be apart! :(
thanks in advance.

How much (accessible) savings do you have together that you've had for 6 months.

The formula is (Savings (X) – £16,000) / 2.5 = Y, Y being the amount of savings you can offset from the £18,600.

So you need Y to 18,600-17,111 - i.e. £1489

So (20000-16000)/2.5 is £1600 so on the face of it you are bit short. There's no leeway with this, it's either a tick or a cross.
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

heidi88

Post by heidi88 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 4:39 pm

but would his employment count as well.
So we can use my savings (20,000) and his employment (17,111/year)?
Together to count for the 18,600.

we are not relying on savings only thats what i mean. why cant it be combined?

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Tue Sep 22, 2015 4:46 pm

heidi88 wrote:but would his employment count as well.
So we can use my savings (20,000) and his employment (17,111/year)?
Together to count for the 18,600.

we are not relying on savings only thats what i mean. why cant it be combined?
No, you can use his earnings/savings only, and I'm pretty certain you can use your savings too (not 100% sure - wait for others to confirm)

You can't use all of the savings, just savings less 16,000 divided by 2.5.

He needs to earn more or you need more savings.
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

Johnandtracy
Newly Registered

Post by Johnandtracy » Sun Nov 15, 2015 2:07 pm

Hi,
My fiancee lives in Uganda, and I am from UK.
We desire to apply for fiancee visa, and required advice.
We have no photos with each other, but I can get phone bills and maybe plane tickets. Would this be enough?
Also, what documents would be required for a successful visa application?
Currently I am in receipt of PIP benefit, so wouldn't need to prove funds. My dad is my appointee so he receives all the money to handle. Would I have to print off his bank statements too, and include a letter of my PIP benefit?
Please can someone list documents we need to provide, and how we provide them as she lives in Uganda.
I have:
1. My passport, scanned and sent via email.
2. Her passport, original and maybe scanned copy?
3. We would write two cover letters, one from each of us.
4. Phone bills for few months. All other communication has been done via Facebook. Would write need to prove this?
5. Application form, anything else concerning this?
6. I could get a letter from an ordained minister proving we will marry.
7. I could buy rings and have receipt.
8. I have sent money and could maybe obtain records, is this needful?
9. PIP benefits letter, and with job (we won't apply till few months) bank statements and maybe letter from employer.
8. I live with my parents. Either she will stay here till we marry, or I would find a place. If she stays here at home with my parents till we marry, what documents need to be provided? Or if I have my own place (one bed apartment), what needs to be shown?
I can't think of anything else we could send. Please if anyone has any advice it would be much appreciated.
Kind regards, and thanks.
John.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Sun Nov 15, 2015 2:45 pm

Have you met in person?
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

aakkoo
Pakistan

Post by aakkoo » Sun Nov 15, 2015 5:07 pm

Casa wrote:Have you met in person?
Hello Casa, i am not able to send PM. Can you or the admin can sort this out for me plz.

Soory its off topic but dont know how to contact moderator or the admin without sending them PM.
"Pray before you are Prayed upon"

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Sun Nov 15, 2015 5:17 pm

aakkoo wrote:
Hello Casa, i am not able to send PM. Can you or the admin can sort this out for me plz.

Soory its off topic but dont know how to contact moderator or the admin without sending them PM.
Sort what out? :?
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

aakkoo
Pakistan

Post by aakkoo » Sun Nov 15, 2015 5:29 pm

Casa wrote:
aakkoo wrote:

Sort what out? :?
Whenever i send PM to someone It stays in the OUTBOX. The recipient dont receive my PM.

I checked in FAQ it says to contact ADMIN to sort out this problem.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Sun Nov 15, 2015 5:36 pm

Your PMs remain in the Outbox until the recipients read them. The fact that they're still there means they haven't been opened.

Do you want to reply to my question about whether you've met in person?
(Casa, not CR001)

aakkoo
Pakistan

Post by aakkoo » Sun Nov 15, 2015 5:49 pm

Casa wrote:Your PMs remain in the Outbox until the recipients read them. The fact that they're still there means they haven't been opened.

Thanks Casa for the prompt replies. Soory its someone else who posted the question .

I raised a query in different thread if you can advice me that will be great.

http://www.immigrationboards.com/indefi ... 95570.html

Many thanks

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Sun Nov 15, 2015 6:00 pm

aakkoo wrote:
Casa wrote:Your PMs remain in the Outbox until the recipients read them. The fact that they're still there means they haven't been opened.

Thanks Casa for the prompt replies. Soory its someone else who posted the question .

I raised a query in different thread if you can advice me that will be great.

http://www.immigrationboards.com/indefi ... 95570.html

Many thanks
I was confused as you posted a quote of my question.
(Casa, not CR001)

aakkoo
Pakistan

Post by aakkoo » Sun Nov 15, 2015 6:08 pm

Will appreciate if you can Advice me on my case in my thread which i already opened.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Sun Nov 15, 2015 6:25 pm

I don't have the answer which is why I've left it to others to respond.
(Casa, not CR001)

aakkoo
Pakistan

Post by aakkoo » Sun Nov 15, 2015 6:28 pm

Casa wrote:I don't have the answer which is why I've left it to others to respond.
Many Thanks Casa.