ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Irish citizen moved to N.Ireland, American spouse, CONFUSED

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

davidg
Newly Registered

Irish citizen moved to N.Ireland, American spouse, CONFUSED

Post by davidg » Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:42 pm

So, I'm an Irish citizen that has just moved to Northern Ireland to work a few weeks ago.

My wife is an american citizen, who holds an Irish stamp 4 and has worked in Ireland for over a year. The GNIB are asking her to return her stamp 4 as she intends to join me in Northern Ireland.

I've been reading this forum and the UK Border Agency website and have really been going around in circles trying to figure out does my wife need an EEA family permit?

If so, how the hell can she get one, We tried to make an online application but it wouldn't be processed without paying over 1000GBP, which is weird as the EEA is supposed to be free. I see some posters on here stating a non-visa national does not need an EEA family permit?

yummy
Newly Registered

Re: Irish citizen moved to N.Ireland, American spouse, CONFU

Post by yummy » Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:17 pm

just register on this link .. they will send you some information and then apply step by step .. https://www.visa4uk.fco.gov.uk/
you dont need to pay anything for your non eu spouse .. there might be some fee if third party is involved ( like worldbridge with some courier service etc ) but it would not be more then 50 euro'e .
It will take like less then 2 weeks from the day of submitting finger prints in Embassy ( or third party office )
best of luck an welcome in UK ;)

davidg
Newly Registered

Post by davidg » Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:38 pm

Thank you Yummy, I found out why I was being charged like 1000GBP, I had picked the wrong selection on the first page. I should have picked Other.

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:30 pm

Skip the EEA Family Permit and appyly for a 5 years RC once in NI.
I'm surprised GNIB are asking for it back.
Check the FAQ before posting!
Citizenship (adults, children, passport)
EEA (EEA FP, RC, PR, Surinder Singh)

davidg
Newly Registered

Post by davidg » Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:54 pm

doesnt that application that a long time though? my wife is keen to find new work right away

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:42 pm

A residence card might take up to six months (hopefully quicker). A COA will be issued "immediately", which will specify that the holder can work.

yummy
Newly Registered

Post by yummy » Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:39 pm

an eu family member can start work on arrival in the UK , straight apply for a national insurence nr . thats it .
I think COA is an ID just for confirmation because the passport is at home office .
Visa sticker ll be enough for your wife to start work or COA ( confirmation of application )would be her ID untill you get your passport back from home office .. Thats all what i think is right as i am going through the same situation :)

el patron
Member of Standing

Post by el patron » Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:13 pm

Little advantage in getting a Family Permit in advance as there is an effectively an open border, just make an EEA2 Residence Card application upon arrival in NI. Although a family permit in the passport makes it so much easier to register with G.P. etc in advance of the Residence Card.

davidg
Newly Registered

Post by davidg » Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:48 pm

Thanks so much to all who replied

davidg
Newly Registered

Post by davidg » Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:06 pm

I'm not sure it would be a good idea not to get an EEA family permit, the main reasons being:
- The UK Border Agency's policy is that everyone should get one
- My spouse cannot make a EEU2 application until I have been exercising treaty rights (>3 months)
- The application itself could take months
- Without a EEA family permit, the National insurance number staff are going to be difficult regarding her right to work
- the EEA family permit will allow immediate access to the NHS in case of emergency

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:17 pm

yummy wrote:an eu family member can start work on arrival in the UK , straight apply for a national insurence nr . thats it .
I think COA is an ID just for confirmation because the passport is at home office .
Visa sticker ll be enough for your wife to start work or COA ( confirmation of application )would be her ID untill you get your passport back from home office .. Thats all what i think is right as i am going through the same situation :)
A COA is a receipt given on application for a residence card. An EU family member can work provided the EU national complies with the residence requirements set out in directive 2004/38/ec.

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:20 pm

davidg wrote:I'm not sure it would be a good idea not to get an EEA family permit, the main reasons being:
- The UK Border Agency's policy is that everyone should get one
- My spouse cannot make a EEU2 application until I have been exercising treaty rights (>3 months)
- The application itself could take months
- Without a EEA family permit, the National insurance number staff are going to be difficult regarding her right to work
- the EEA family permit will allow immediate access to the NHS in case of emergency
An EEA family permit is not necessary. You can choose to apply for one if you believe it to be convenient. The choice is yours.