ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Visa separate from Passport and needing to travel

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

sanfair
Newly Registered

Visa separate from Passport and needing to travel

Post by sanfair » Wed May 16, 2007 12:49 pm

Hi

The Home Office lost my passport last year but after much wrangling granted me FLR anyway on a piece of paper called an Immigration Status Document.
My new passport has apparently finally been issued and I'm planning on visiting South Africa in October.

Does anyone know if having the visa separate from my new passport will be a problem when I want to come back to the UK?
I seem to remember hearing that you have to pay quite a bit to get a visa put into a passport at the Home Office. Does anyone know if that's correct?

SYH
BANNED

Post by SYH » Wed May 16, 2007 1:25 pm

I was just looking up this issue for myself for a different reason
Go to
http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/contac ... onenquries AND
http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/applyi ... tionforms/
Form and guide NTLTOC - transfer of an indefinite or limited leave stamp to a new passport or other document

Form NTLTOC (81 kb)

NTLTOC guidance (54 kb)

For your information, you can travel with a new valid passport without having your leave transferred from the previous passport, provided that you carry your old passport with the endorsement of leave, or the letter in which your leave was granted.

It is up to individuals to ensure their travel documents are kept up to date and are valid for travel. The decision to admit a person at port is made by the immigration officer based on the information and evidence presented to them.

Dawie
Diamond Member

Post by Dawie » Thu May 17, 2007 9:38 am

There is absolutely no problem at all travelling with your new passport and the immigration status document. You could have the visa transferred to your new passport but it's unnecessary and a waste of money (a LOT of money these days).
In a few years time we'll look back on immigration control like we look back on American prohibition in the thirties - futile and counter-productive.