ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ESOL Skills for life (Speaking & Listening) Entry 3

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

mbasmart

ESOL Skills for life (Speaking & Listening) Entry 3

Post by mbasmart » Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:18 pm

I'll be applying for ILR in November 2014 alongwith my wife and 3 kids.

My wife has done a certificate called 'ESOL - SKILLS FOR LIFE (SPEAKING AND LISTENING) Entry Level 3'. I just wanted to ask, is this certificate equivalent to B1? Or, will this Entry 3 certificate satisfy the English Language requirements for my wife at the time of ILR?

Can any of the respected members/ moderators please help? It'll be very much appreciated..

Casa
United Kingdom

Re: ESOL Skills for life (Speaking & Listening) Entry 3

Post by Casa » Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:57 pm

ESOL level 3 will be accepted for the B1 English test, but your wife will also have to pass the Life in the UK test.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

mbasmart

Post by mbasmart » Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:57 pm

Casa wrote:ESOL level 3 will be accepted for the B1 English test, but your wife will also have to pass the Life in the UK test.
Thanks for your reply. Much appreciated..

Yeah, she has already started preparing for Life in the UK Test. She's practising on-line and she's prepared about 40 tests so far. She hasn't read the book yet, just trying to memorise the on-line tests. If you have any tips in this regard, plz do share...

Thanks again..

pinkpop

Post by pinkpop » Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:06 pm

mbasmart wrote:
Casa wrote:ESOL level 3 will be accepted for the B1 English test, but your wife will also have to pass the Life in the UK test.
Thanks for your reply. Much appreciated..

Yeah, she has already started preparing for Life in the UK Test. She's practising on-line and she's prepared about 40 tests so far. She hasn't read the book yet, just trying to memorise the on-line tests. If you have any tips in this regard, plz do share...

Thanks again..
In my expierence that you need to read the book at least once as lot of people not pass by only practise the questions.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:42 pm

She may find the test easier if she listens to the questions through the headphones provided on request.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

uktraveller.030209
Newly Registered

Post by uktraveller.030209 » Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:18 am

This question is a bit premature.
Yes, as of now, ESOL Level-3 qualification is good enough for english language competency required for SET-O based ILR application
but, then you specified you are due to apply in Nov 2014. Although unlikely but, the english language requirements might change by that time. So keep an eye on ukba website to keep abreast of any possible impacting changes

Add this link to your bookmarks and keep an eye regularly for any changes -
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/visas ... nstrating/

This link lists all the equivalent english language qualifications approved by uk Home Office for settlement
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... atura1.pdf

In addition, the Life in the UK test must also be passed as others have already confirmed

However, she must read the Life in the UK book as it is clearly stipulated on lituk website that all the questions will be asked only from that book. Online tests are only helpful if you know what's in the book. Its a 170 page book and the size of the page is rather small so, it barely takes 8-16 hours to finish the whole book.

Whichever way she prepares, the good news for her is that she can sit Life in the UK test as many times as she might like and there is no limit on number of attempts permitted per person. But, yes the fee will have to be paid once per attempt

mbasmart

Post by mbasmart » Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:23 am

Thank you very much all. Your help is very, very much appreciated.. Stay blessed...

smartkhan
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Post by smartkhan » Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:15 am

Hi,

I have passed life in uk test last Monday. Please don't take it easy. You'll have to read the book at least once. I read it twice. I practiced online tests many times. Below are the links for two online test sites.

1) http://www.freelifeintheuktest.com/
2) http://www.theuktest.com/

Read the book and practice as much as you can. If you continue to pass the online tests without failing. You are ready for the test.

Good Luck!

salmatoumi
Newly Registered

Post by salmatoumi » Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:02 pm

mbasmart wrote:I'll be applying for ILR in November 2014 alongwith my wife and 3 kids.

My wife has done a certificate called 'ESOL - SKILLS FOR LIFE (SPEAKING AND LISTENING) Entry Level 3'. I just wanted to ask, is this certificate equivalent to B1? Or, will this Entry 3 certificate satisfy the English Language requirements for my wife at the time of ILR?

Can any of the respected members/ moderators please help? It'll be very much appreciated..

hi can i ask if your wife has attended any courses for ESOL, or just went for the test.

WR1

Post by WR1 » Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:58 am

Just ensure that the ESOL Skills for Life Entry Level 3 certificate is awarded by Cambridge English as the one offered by Trinity College has been removed from the Home Office list of acceptable qualifications (effective from 1st August 2014).

Sort of confirms uktraveller.030209 post above about changes to acceptable qualifications being made and a good idea about being up to date with information before applying.
I am not an immigration adviser
Any views expressed are my own opinion and should not be considered as legal advice
No liability is accepted for the content and for the consequences of any actions taken on the basis of the information provided

ryz777

Post by ryz777 » Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:51 pm

ESOL Skills for Life Entry 3 awarded by city & guilds and Trinity college has been removed from the HO approved list but what if the certificate is still recognised by Ofqual? is it still valid??

simsouthall
Newly Registered

Post by simsouthall » Sat Apr 25, 2015 9:43 am

If you doing life in the uk test try http://www.lifeintheuktest.info