ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Claiming Student Finance on DLR

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

adviceuk
Newly Registered

Post by adviceuk » Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:57 pm

Hi John, I need some help please.I was granted DLR in December 2009, I am now on my final 3 years before applying for ILR. My husband and child are BC by birth and I am returning to my study's in sept 2014, I was told by student finances that I cannot apply for student lone or maintenance grant.My husband and I have always work but since having my baby, I have not yet returned to work and my husband is on a low income.
Please let me now if student finances is right,if not were can i find this info. I must also had there is no restriction to public funds on my bio metric card.Many thanks

adviceuk
Newly Registered

Post by adviceuk » Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:15 pm

Hi amber, I need some help please.I was granted DLR in December 2009, I am now on my final 3 years before applying for ILR. My husband and child are BC by birth and I am returning to my study's in sept 2014, I was told by student finances that I cannot apply for student lone or maintenance grant.My husband and I have always work but since having my baby, I have not yet returned to work and my husband is on a low income.
Please let me know if student finances is right,if not were can i find this info. I must also had there is no restriction to public funds on my bio metric card.Many thanks
adviceuk
Newly Registered

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Re: Claiming Student Finance on DLR

Post by Amber » Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:56 pm

I assume you extended your DLR in 2012 and aim to settle in 2015? Why were you granted DLR, was this humanitarian protection (as a result of a failed application for asylum)? If not, then you can claim student finance once you are settled, I assume your spouse is not a EEA national (other than UK)?

See also, Nationality or residency status (click).
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

adviceuk
Newly Registered

Post by adviceuk » Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:59 pm

Hi Amber, thanks for the reply, I've been living in the UK from 2000 and given DlR because I have a British husband and i was first on a student visa, now i have a child. I did not have a need to apply for asylum,can I apply for maintenance grant and lone before settlement? has I have no restriction to public funds.
My husband was born in the UK and his parents are both British,I hope I have answered correctly. Many thanks
Last edited by adviceuk on Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

adviceuk
Newly Registered

Post by adviceuk » Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:59 pm

Hi Amber, thanks for the reply, I've been living in the UK from 2000 and given DlR because I have a British husband and i was first on a student visa, now i have a child. I did not have a need to apply for asylum, can I
apply for maintenance grant and lone before settlement, has I have no restriction to public funds. Many thanks

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:39 am

adviceuk, see this topic.

Your circumstance is not unique.
John

adviceuk
Newly Registered

Post by adviceuk » Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:01 pm

Hi John many thanks for your reply, but my letter or BMC card from the home office does not say no recourse to public funds.

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:33 pm

Sorry to say, I do not think that makes any difference. Student finance is not within the definition of Public Funds.

Totally separate rules apply to who is, or is not, entitled to student finance, or entitled to pay just Home Fees.
John