ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EEA3 and CSI requirements

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

3xf
Newly Registered

EEA3 and CSI requirements

Post by 3xf » Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:53 am

Dear all,

I'm an EEA national and have been living in the UK since November 2007. I've wanted to get naturalised for some time now to be able to fully participate in politics, and thought I first get EEA3 out of the way so in case there's a problem it won't cost me that much money. After reading around for a while I came across this CSI requirement for periods of study and am somewhat concerned about whether I actually have PR now or not.

A quick overview of how I spent my time here:
05/11/2007-25/01/2008 Study, on English course (15h/week)
28/01/2008-07/03/2008 Study, on different English course (15h/week)
10/03/2008-17/07/2008 Employment, full-time
19/07/2008-14/08/2008 Employment, full-time
15/08/2008-30/09/2008 Travelled LEJOG, to Germany and to France (Absence?)
01/10/2008-30/11/2008 Seeking work
01/12/2008-03/04/2009 Employment, full-time
04/04/2009-30/08/2009 Initially seeking work, then the last two months just waited for studies to begin after being accepted
01/09/2009-01/07/2012 Study, BA at uni
01/09/2012-01/09/2013 Study, MA at uni (with full scholarship from UK research council)
02/09/2013-present Looking for some work and applying to PhDs, I went abroad for a month during christmas though

Now, during any of the periods where I was travelling or seeking work, I never registered for JSA or anything and I lived off savings and money my parents gave me to help out.

I had never heard of CSI until today, but I've got comprehensive health insurance in Germany, which my parents continued to pay, as until starting my MA I always thought I would go back home. I have asked to terminate that health plan for beginning of March because it gets much more expensive now I don't study full time (like 500% extra). While I've always pretty much relied on the NHS, this insurance has provided me with EHIC cover for the whole time I've spent here to-date. I don't have the older cards any more to prove it, but I've just sent an email to the insurance asking for a letter confirming that I was covered for the whole period.

Does anybody have an opinion to offer on whether this suffices, or I even need it (it seems this is a relatively new requirement)? And if so, should I pre-emptively sent any sort of supporting statement with the EEA3? I'm really worried now they will say I didn't exercise my treaty rights the last four years because I didn't have CSI.

I'm thankful for any comments :)

askmeplz82
Diamond Member

Re: EEA3 and CSI requirements

Post by askmeplz82 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:03 am

Students issued with a registration certificate before 20 June 2011

DO you have one ? http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... /eea11.pdf

If you were not asked to provide evidence of comprehensive sickness insurance, and later apply for permanent residence as a student, your application will not be refused solely on the grounds that there is no evidence of comprehensive sickness insurance on the date of decision.
UK Student Visa : 04/2004 - 09/2009
EEA Residence Card : 07/2010 - 7/2015
EU Settled Status: Confirmed on 16th July 2019
Naturalisation : Confirmed on 02nd Oct 2020
Passport Approval : 21st Feb 2021

3xf
Newly Registered

Post by 3xf » Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:10 am

No, I've not got a registration certificate/never had the need to apply for one, hence, if I understand this right, that transitional discretion does not apply to me and I do need to provide proof of CSI, correct?
Students issued with a registration certificate before 20 June 2011
If you were not asked to provide evidence of comprehensive sickness insurance, and later apply for permanent residence as a student, your application will not be refused solely on the grounds that there is no evidence of comprehensive sickness insurance on the date of decision.

For further guidance on the transitional arrangements for students who were issued with a registration certificate prior to 20 June 2011, please see Annex B of Chapter 6 of the European Casework Instructions (ECIs).

Students issued with a registration certificate after 20 June 2011, or never granted a certificate
You will need to provide evidence that you held comprehensive sickness insurance throughout the time you spent as a student.
That's at least what it says here: http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/eucit ... ealthcare/

askmeplz82
Diamond Member

Post by askmeplz82 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:11 pm

Well in that case you will need to provide evidence that you held comprehensive sickness insurance or EHIC from outside throughout the time you spent as a student.

Can you ask Germany health authority to issue you a letter " like you are covered for the entire duration of your studies"

i've seen cases in this forum where UKBA accepted letter from the health authority in france. I don't think in germany you can ask for it because healthcare is not free for everyone
UK Student Visa : 04/2004 - 09/2009
EEA Residence Card : 07/2010 - 7/2015
EU Settled Status: Confirmed on 16th July 2019
Naturalisation : Confirmed on 02nd Oct 2020
Passport Approval : 21st Feb 2021

3xf
Newly Registered

Post by 3xf » Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:23 pm

Ok, thank you for confirming my suspicion.

Indeed insurance is not free in Germany, however I've had continuous insurance in Germany until the end of January of this year. I've just called the insurance company now and asked them for a letter confirming that I was continuously insured with them throughout the whole period I stayed in the UK until January.

Somewhat suspicious of the sort of letter I'll get, as they had some trouble understanding what I wanted (as you get older, your tariff class changes, so they initially only wanted to give me confirmation for my last tariff). I'll wait for this now and then see what will happen.

I have found my last EHIC after all, which interestingly doesn't expire until 2017, but I'm sure that's not sufficient as I think they are only valid for 5 years (even though they do not show a start date..)?

3xf
Newly Registered

Post by 3xf » Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:27 pm

I can report that they have accepted a letter (+certified translation) from my German insurer listing the dates I was insured there as evidence of CSI without any problem, and I have received my document certifying permanent residence on the 31st of March. Thanks again, next to get naturalised!

Deeone

Post by Deeone » Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:16 pm

3xf wrote:I can report that they have accepted a letter (+certified translation) from my German insurer listing the dates I was insured there as evidence of CSI without any problem, and I have received my document certifying permanent residence on the 31st of March. Thanks again, next to get naturalised!
Congrats to you!!!
If I may ask when did you sent your application through and How much did you pay for the application and also did you waited for the insurance to come through before applying and did you submitted your EHIC card along? I can know if I my EEA National member can go through the same route