ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Certifying/notarizing documents - notary public/postoffice

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Universal soldier
BANNED

Certifying/notarizing documents - notary public/postoffice

Post by Universal soldier » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:09 pm

Hello all,
Among notary public/solicitor/post office, which one is most authenticated source whose notarization/certification of documents such as passport the UKBA most often accept? Post office also offers service to certify the copy of documents after seeing the original one, then is that an acceptable source by ukba.

MPH80
Respected Guru

Re: Certifying/notarizing documents - notary public/postoffi

Post by MPH80 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:01 am

I've used them in the past - but only to certify a UK passport which was then sent for a visitor visa application where the applicant had a good history of UK immigration.

Since it was a UK passport - they could always look it up on the system.

357mag
Member of Standing
Bulgaria

Post by 357mag » Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:40 am

Notary only charge the fixed rate of £5. Solicitor can charge what they want and I've seen some charge £80 just to witness one sheet of paper.
I am not a forum GURU, I am often wrong
Dont take any notice of anything I post, I'm getting old and havn't the foggiest what I'm talking about.

Universal soldier
BANNED

Post by Universal soldier » Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:09 am

Thanks for replies. But who is better among notary public/solicitor/post office for ukba purposes.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:11 pm

Universal soldier wrote:Thanks for replies. But who is better among notary public/solicitor/post office for ukba purposes.
It doesn't matter which one you use, they are all accepted by UKBA.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Universal soldier
BANNED

Post by Universal soldier » Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:06 pm

Then what's difference between certifying and notarizing document? the post office after checking original get stamped with the wording of "true likeness of original" to the copy, is that notarised/certified?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:00 am

For what purpose do you need it done and what documents do you want to have done?

They are all accepted by the UKBA.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

357mag
Member of Standing
Bulgaria

Post by 357mag » Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:21 am

Certain documents need to signed and witnessed by a notary or officer of the court with authority, such as affidavits. Some need to be certified by your embassy some are ok certified by post office, solicitor, recognised translation service. Its gonna depend on which is most appropriate.
I am not a forum GURU, I am often wrong
Dont take any notice of anything I post, I'm getting old and havn't the foggiest what I'm talking about.

Universal soldier
BANNED

Post by Universal soldier » Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:07 pm

Thanks for replies. The certification/notarization is of EU national passport at the time when non-eu national applying permanent residence. Solicitors/notary public insist appointment, show their moods and charge what they want but post office who already assist ukba in many ways offers certification service for £7-£8. Will this post office service under above circumstances can be acceptable to ukba?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:14 pm

Yes, the passport needs to be certified as a true copy, so post office will be fine.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

Universal soldier
BANNED

Post by Universal soldier » Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:53 am

In continuation of above discussion, will a notarized document from foreign notary public has same worth in the eyes of ukba and do they accept foreign attested document.