ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

US University diploma as a valid certificate?

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Grooby
Newly Registered

US University diploma as a valid certificate?

Post by Grooby » Fri May 18, 2007 1:35 pm

Hi all,
I am looking into the HSMP program and one of the required document is original academic certificate. What can be consider as an original academic certificate? The reason I am asking is the only thing I can think of is the diploma I received and I am afraid that if that is sent in, it might be lost.

apeterso925

Re: US University diploma as a valid certificate?

Post by apeterso925 » Fri May 18, 2007 4:48 pm

Grooby wrote:Hi all,
I am looking into the HSMP program and one of the required document is original academic certificate. What can be consider as an original academic certificate? The reason I am asking is the only thing I can think of is the diploma I received and I am afraid that if that is sent in, it might be lost.
I have not actually submitted my application yet, but I am going through a solicitor (lawyer) and have sent him all of my documents for review.

According to him (and he has been doing this for many years), an "academic certificate" is your diploma (lol, I had to take mine off my wall and out of their frames).

As a side note, you will have to supply several original very-difficult-to-replace documents, that's just the nature of the process and what the Home Office requires! However, I know that in my case, should my diplomas get lost, I'll just have to get new ones from my universities (annoying, but not a big deal).

So far, nothing I've had to send is irreplaceable, a few things would just be a huge hassle to replace. However, I would strongly suggest that you send everything via a trackable method (FedEx, DHL, etc), if you weren't already planning to.

Hope that helps!
Amy

ball1333

Post by ball1333 » Fri May 18, 2007 5:15 pm

Hi,

While I have to request a review because of issues with my past earnings (arrrgh!!!), yesterday my caseworker confirmed that I got all the points I claimed for my degree.

I supplied my precious undergraduate diploma taken out of its frame and an official copy of my undergraduate transcript. I sent the undergrad transcript because I graduated from an institution that has "college" in its name rather than "university" (even though it does have some graduate programs and USNWR calls it a master's level university).

I put the diploma between two pieces of cardboard and labeled each side of the cardboard 'holder' with "ATTENTION: UNDERGRADUATE DEGREE EVIDENCE (DIPLOMA) ENCLOSED. HANDLE WITH CARE."

Hope this helps,

ball1333

BostUS
Newly Registered

Post by BostUS » Sat May 19, 2007 12:34 am

I don't think you really have a choice. They won't accept anything but the original.

BostUS
Newly Registered

Post by BostUS » Sat May 19, 2007 12:36 am

ball1333 wrote:Hi,

While I have to request a review because of issues with my past earnings (arrrgh!!!), yesterday my caseworker confirmed that I got all the points I claimed for my degree.

I supplied my precious undergraduate diploma taken out of its frame and an official copy of my undergraduate transcript. I sent the undergrad transcript because I graduated from an institution that has "college" in its name rather than "university" (even though it does have some graduate programs and USNWR calls it a master's level university).

I put the diploma between two pieces of cardboard and labeled each side of the cardboard 'holder' with "ATTENTION: UNDERGRADUATE DEGREE EVIDENCE (DIPLOMA) ENCLOSED. HANDLE WITH CARE."

Hope this helps,

ball1333

my MBA degree from a US college was accepted with no problems and I was awarded points.

SYH
BANNED

Post by SYH » Sat May 19, 2007 9:59 am

UMM I sent my official transcript.
There is no way I would send my diplomas in the mail
And they were prefectly acceptable

apeterso925

Post by apeterso925 » Sat May 19, 2007 2:15 pm

SYH wrote:UMM I sent my official transcript.
There is no way I would send my diplomas in the mail
And they were prefectly acceptable
I guess I'm not really following what the big deal is...if mine gets lost, worst case scenario, I call my universities and request new ones and in 2 weeks, there are two new diplomas on my wall that looks just the last ones.

Is this not the case with all schools?

Nothing that HO requests is irreplaceable...at least it wasn't for me.

SYH
BANNED

Post by SYH » Sat May 19, 2007 9:36 pm

My diplomas are extremely large and not conducive to be mailed.
For me they are far too precious to be mailed off, especially when an official transcript is just as acceptable.
In any case, do whatever you are comfortable with, as much as the HO wants originals, I think they realize some diplomas are on people's wall and you just dont dismantle them to prove you got a degree.
That's what transcripts are for as far as I am concerned. but thats my opinion.