ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Any EU spouse travelled to UK from Ireland wthout Visa????

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

squa

Any EU spouse travelled to UK from Ireland wthout Visa????

Post by squa » Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:51 pm

I would like to know if anyone that is a spouse of an EU national and is a normally a visa requiring national for the UK, if they have traveled to UK without a visa using their EU treaty rights? I know that EU treaty rules say that you can travel to other EU states without a visa so long you are travelling with your EU spouse and you have passports and marriage certificate, but when you go to the UK Border Agency website, they tend to be dismissive of this rule.
I have previously traveled to UK without visa by ferry as there are no mandatory passport checks, but I would like to present myself and my spouse that is an Irish national to immigration for clearance after coming off ferry. Please let me know your experiences.

Latintraveller
United Kingdom

Re: Any EU spouse travelled to UK from Ireland wthout Visa??

Post by Latintraveller » Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:55 pm

They are apparently making people's life hell at the moment on ferry crossings. On other forums non-EU nationals with their spouses have been persistently turned back from the UK despite explaining that they have the right to access the UK as they are exercising their Treaty rights.

New App
Newly Registered

Post by New App » Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:10 pm

Remember each EU country has its own immigration law so do not be foolish to assume each country has the same laws, in most cases this is correct however The UK DO NOT have the same reading as the Irish with regards to EU Treaty Rights.

It is extremely advisable to contact the UKBA and tell them your details (nationality, status in ireland, your spouse details, who is traveling etc) and find out what they want you to do. DO IT and you will have no problems with the UK

squa

Post by squa » Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:16 am

I know that the UK Border Agency insist spouses of EU nationals that are visa nationals to apply for permits, this though is against EU law. I simply want to find out if anyone that has travelled without a visa with their EU spouse has been returned at the border.
I plan to test them in the near future as I feel they are abusing the rights of these people. I am awaiting my Irish citizenship approval and as soon as I get it will travel with my wife with her EU passport and my non EU passport by ferry and though there is no immigration checks, I WILL present myself to UK Immigration upon arrival in the UK to request visa. I will stand my ground under EU treaty rights, and should it then come to the worst whereby they decide to return me to Ireland I would then provide proof of Irish citizenship. :D