ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EEA national sponsor's passport for EEA2 application

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Carlitos
Newly Registered

EEA national sponsor's passport for EEA2 application

Post by Carlitos » Fri May 18, 2007 4:08 pm

I am in the process of submitting an EEA2 application for a Residence Card. I am a Canadian citizen in London, UK currently employed through a Work Permit; my spouse is a Finnish citizen exercising her Treaty Rights and has applied and received the "Registration Certificate" via the EEA1.

Is it necessary to submit my wife's (EEA national) Finnish passport as supporting evidence in my EEA2 application? Will it suffice to submit the Registration Certificate (or a certified copy?), or must this be ALSO submitted along with the EEA national sponsor's passport?

Will they hold onto my wife's EEA2 national sponsor's passport as long as my Canadian passport for the entire SIX MONTHS it takes to get the EEA2 processed for me?

In other words: DOES BOTH HUSBAND AND WIFE HAVE TO SUBMIT THEIR PASSPORTS FOR THE ENTIRE PROCESSING PERIOD OF AN EEA2 APPLICATION--even if the application is only for one person (Husband) seeking a Residence Card?

Hope to hear from anyone who has had experience about this.

thsths
United Kingdom

Re: EEA national sponsor's passport for EEA2 application

Post by thsths » Fri May 18, 2007 7:24 pm

Carlitos wrote:Is it necessary to submit my wife's (EEA national) Finnish passport as supporting evidence in my EEA2 application? Will it suffice to submit the Registration Certificate (or a certified copy?), or must this be ALSO submitted along with the EEA national sponsor's passport?

Will they hold onto my wife's EEA2 national sponsor's passport as long as my Canadian passport for the entire SIX MONTHS it takes to get the EEA2 processed for me?
That is a good question. I assume that they expect the EU passport or ID card to be included. It is possible that they still have it on record from the application to the Registration Certificate, in which case a copy of passport and certificate should be sufficient. Asking the HO seems to be absolutely futile, so I would just decide either way. If they need more douments, they will send you a letter (in a few month time).

If you send the passport, it is very likely that they keep it for 6 month. However, you can call the HO and ask for the passport (both passports) to be sent back. This should not affect the application (although it may cause a short delay).

The best thing to do may be to send the EU ID card, if your wife has one.

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru
Location: does not matter if you are with your EEA family member

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Thu May 24, 2007 9:20 am

Documents. Provide all relevant documents, including passport(s)/ID card(s) as appropriate. All documents should be originals. If you can’t provide an original document when applying, please explain why and say when you will be able to provide it. If you provide a certified copy, it should be a copy certified by the body or authority which issued the original document (for example, a copy of a savings passbook certified by the bank) or by a notary. To resolve your application, we need to see the originals of passport(s) or ID card(s) as appropriate, and if needed to prove a family member relationship, marriage or civil partnership certificates, and birth certificates. If you cannot provide original documents it is unlikely that we will grant your application.
At some point you need to submit the original EU ID/passport as well as your original Canadian passport, and your marriage certificate.

I believe you can submit certified copies (done by a solicitor) and then follow up with the originals when the Residence Card is ready to issue.

Alternatively, you could ask (in the application) for the passports, ID card, and marriage certificate to be immediately returned to you so that you can use them for travel while the Residence Card application is being processed. I would include a prepaid special delivery envelope with your letter (and keep the tracking number before you send it).

immigration1

Re: EEA national sponsor's passport for EEA2 application

Post by immigration1 » Thu May 31, 2007 7:53 pm

Carlitos wrote:I am in the process of submitting an EEA2 application for a Residence Card. I am a Canadian citizen in London, UK currently employed through a Work Permit; my spouse is a Finnish citizen exercising her Treaty Rights and has applied and received the "Registration Certificate" via the EEA1.

Is it necessary to submit my wife's (EEA national) Finnish passport as supporting evidence in my EEA2 application? Will it suffice to submit the Registration Certificate (or a certified copy?), or must this be ALSO submitted along with the EEA national sponsor's passport?

In other words: DOES BOTH HUSBAND AND WIFE HAVE TO SUBMIT THEIR PASSPORTS FOR THE ENTIRE PROCESSING PERIOD OF AN EEA2 APPLICATION--even if the application is only for one person (Husband) seeking a Residence Card?

Hope to hear from anyone who has had experience about this.
Certified copy of her passport/ RC should be enough for the HO. You can always submit it later if they request it but in my experience they don't.