ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Information on Long term residency - green card

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

nblaze

Information on Long term residency - green card

Post by nblaze » Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:05 am

Another quick question, for Ireland doesn't seem to be too specific when it comes to immigration!! I asked a question the other day in regards to how long it takes to gain citizenship and I was told 5 years of living in the states can make one eligible for citizenship, but I also heard that it takes 5 years to be eligible for "long term residency". Can anyone clear this up for me?

If you have a green card permit, how many years does it take to be a "permanent resident" where you can work for any employer without having to reapply for a visa? If 5 years = citizenship how many years = unrestricted permanent residency!? Thanks!

aalazzani

Re: Information on Long term residency - green card

Post by aalazzani » Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:21 am

I came to Ireland early 2008 under Green Card schema and I was given stamp 4 after 2 years (which allowed me to work for any employer without additional permit). The initial stamp 4 was for 1 year and then was renewed for 2 years. Late 2013 I was granted citizenship based on 5 years residency.

I hope this help you understand options and make decision.

nblaze

Re: Information on Long term residency - green card

Post by nblaze » Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:39 pm

Thanks! That does help. So if green card is two years and then you get a two year stamp 4, which enables you to work for whoever you want...that equals 4 years. Do you have to apply for another green card after the 4 years? I guess at that point you would need sponored work. Basically how do you get from the 4th year to 5th year visa wise in order to apply for citizenship?