ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

URGENT Letter received from HM Passport Office

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

michelle_law
Newly Registered

URGENT Letter received from HM Passport Office

Post by michelle_law » Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:54 pm

Hi guys

I'm new here pls help,it's urgent!

I Became British citizen in Dec 2012 through naturalisation but I didn't bother apply for a British passport until 2 weeks ago, I.e. After 1 year.

Received a letter from HM Passport Office today asking me to: confirm the reason for the lapse between your naturalisation and your passport application.

I thought its my choice when to apply for a British passport, am i wrong?

What s the best way to reply guys? Pls help me out here.

Mannnnnny thanks!

Casa
United Kingdom

Re: URGENT Letter received from HM Passport Office

Post by Casa » Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:20 am

I would simply say that you had no need to travel outside of the UK, so there had been no requirement for a passport until now. It's not mandatory to apply for one.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

michelle_law
Newly Registered

Post by michelle_law » Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:57 am

Thank you for your reply. That's what I'm about to say in the reply letter.

However last year I did travel between China and UK by holding a Chinese passport on which I had ILR. I was going through customs both end without any issues.

Do you think this night be the reason why they are questioning? Do they think the right procedure is to have a British passport first then get a Chinese visa to enter China?

Thanks again for any reply!

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:46 pm

I would imagine its a security check. Has nothing to do with your previous entry. They just want to make sure it's you who is applying. And not someone who got hold of your naturalisation certificate (ID theft).
Check the FAQ before posting!
Citizenship (adults, children, passport)
EEA (EEA FP, RC, PR, Surinder Singh)

michelle_law
Newly Registered

Post by michelle_law » Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:06 pm

Thanks, I would really hope so!

Now since you brought up ID theft what can they do with my naturalisation certificate? Say it got stolen by someone, are they going to use it for getting a passport? Once passport issued it will have my information on it will it be of any use to the *theft*? Just wondering ....

HSMPLOCHA

Post by HSMPLOCHA » Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:22 pm

Hold on..does China allow dual citizenship. I ask bcos you had ground to travel but chose to travel on your Chinese passport although being naturalised. You reason might not hold ground in my opinion.

If dual citizenship is allowed by China then you can always say you did not need one as the only travel plans were to visit home country that did not require a visa.

lynxukauq
Member of Standing

Post by lynxukauq » Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:36 pm

Article 9: Any Chinese national who has settled abroad and who has been naturalised as a foreign national or has acquired foreign nationality of his own free will shall automatically lose Chinese nationality.

michelle_law
Newly Registered

Post by michelle_law » Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:57 pm

I was hoping after I apply for a British passport, the next trip going back to china I will use uk passport + China visa. But going home with Chinese passport (before I had a UK passport) shouldn't be a concern for the UK passport office right? as we accept dual citizenship here.

Anyway is this the reason they are asking me why I waited a year to apply? Whats gonna happen now? OMG I start to panic! :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:26 pm

The Passport Office don't care about your Chinese citizenship. This is a matter between you and the Chinese authorities. It's purely a security check. You are correct that it will be more difficult to do an ID theft after your passport is issued but as it wasn't issued yet (first passport application), the Passport Office are likely to be more careful.

michelle_law
Newly Registered

Post by michelle_law » Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:45 pm

Thanks guru :wink: I d like to think its a simple background/security check. But having said that how's sending me a letter a security check? Just so they know I do live in the claimed address?

I have replied by saying I didn't need a UK passport last year and plan to visit some European countries and the US soon hence applied for travel purposes(which is the truth anyway). Is this satisfactory? :?

How likely am I going to be rejected for a UK passport? Will my chinese passport be taken away cos of what happened last year?

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:12 pm

Well, it's quite easy to verify from several sources (council, credit check, DVLA) that a person lives in a certain address so it's quite reasonable to send you a letter just to make sure it is you who applied for the passport.

Your explanation is fine.

You are British. The Passport Office is not concerned with your issues with the Chinese authorities.

michelle_law
Newly Registered

Post by michelle_law » Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:43 pm

So you think I shouldn't worry?

vinny

Post by vinny » Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:38 pm

It's probably a standard letter issued to people who applied for passports later than sooner.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

Just Wondering

Post by Just Wondering » Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:25 am

michelle_law wrote:So you think I shouldn't worry?
You shouldn't worry.