ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Son's British citizenship

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

SKJMR

Son's British citizenship

Post by SKJMR » Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:57 pm

Hi,
We both me and my wife are applying for PR/ILR in mid December 2014 and we just been blessed with a baby born in UK whose just 1 month old, we don’t have any plans to travel to India this year but defiantly planning to travel to India in February2015 after we get PR/ILR.
My question is:
1. If is sure that once I get ILR, my son is entitled to get British passport.
2. The process is called registration as British citizen under section 1(3) or is called naturalization
3. Registration as BC is same as naturalization or both these are different
4. Is naturalization only for adults age above 18 and registration for children under age 18
5. What forms should I use to apply and fees of the application
6. Duration to get registered as BC or Naturalization whatever it is called, how long will the process take
7. After registration how long will it take to get British passport
8. Or do you suggest me to apply for ILR for all us three at same time but we did not register him as Indian citizen here in UK after birth and did not apply for his Indian passport either.
9. My friend said I need use MN1 form I don’t know if that’s right form for my son, but if yes, it says in the form when did the child get ILR, but how can we get his ILR
10. Or should children have ILR before registering/naturalize as British citizen under 18 years of age.

I know it is still very early to think about all this but we got to be in India defiantly by February end for my brother’s wedding, so to get all these things done is time is very important for me, as we cannot miss the wedding at any cost and also the money involved for our both ILR application and son’s passport,I guess will cost us a fortune so just wanted to plan things more in advance. Kindly answer my queries and if I am wrong please explain and suggest me how to go about the process.

Many thanks
SKJ

Just Wondering

Re: Son's British citizenship

Post by Just Wondering » Sat Feb 15, 2014 1:22 pm

Congratulations!

Have a look at the Forum FAQs: http://www.immigrationboards.com/britis ... 95747.html

Once you get ILR, you can apply to have your child registered as a British Citizen. As he was born in the UK, he does not need ILR before registration. You use form MN1. There is a thread on the timeline for MN1 registration (http://www.immigrationboards.com/britis ... 81180.html). Once your child is registered, it can take 2-6 weeks from passport application. As you see from the FAQs, the whole process (registration and passport) can take 3-6 months.

To be honest, it sounds like registration + passport might be a bit tight for your brother's wedding. However, in April there is a priority settlement service being offered by UKBA for a £300 fee - but I am not sure what this would look like and if it'd be relevant for your son. Perhaps it will be so keep your eye out.

If it's not then don't worry - there are heaps of posters that can advise the best way to deal!

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sat Feb 15, 2014 1:24 pm

SKJMR wrote:Hi,
We both me and my wife are applying for PR/ILR in mid December 2014 and we just been blessed with a baby born in UK whose just 1 month old, we don’t have any plans to travel to India this year but defiantly planning to travel to India in February2015 after we get PR/ILR.
My question is:
1. If is sure that once I get ILR, my son is entitled to get British passport. Yes, he is entitled to Registeration as British Citizen
2. The process is called registration as British citizen under section 1(3) or is called naturalization Children are Registered, Section 1(3) is correct
3. Registration as BC is same as naturalization or both these are different L: Children are Registered and adults are Naturalised
4. Is naturalization only for adults age above 18 and registration for children under age 18 Correct yes
5. What forms should I use to apply and fees of the application MN1 for the child and fees go up in April 2014 but currently £673
6. Duration to get registered as BC or Naturalization whatever it is called, how long will the process take Can take a few weeks and up to six months
7. After registration how long will it take to get British passport Fast track child application takes 3-5 days
8. Or do you suggest me to apply for ILR for all us three at same time but we did not register him as Indian citizen here in UK after birth and did not apply for his Indian passport either. He will need a passport for ILR application and possibly existing leave to remain (visa) based on your immigration status
9. My friend said I need use MN1 form I don’t know if that’s right form for my son, but if yes, it says in the form when did the child get ILR, but how can we get his ILR - MN1 is correct. Leave blank ILR section as child is entitled to register after you receive ILR. If you apply for ILR for child, then fill in the details
10. Or should children have ILR before registering/naturalize as British citizen under 18 years of age. Not if registration under section 1(3) as it is an entitlement and not at discretion.

I know it is still very early to think about all this but we got to be in India defiantly by February end for my brother’s wedding, so to get all these things done is time is very important for me, as we cannot miss the wedding at any cost and also the money involved for our both ILR application and son’s passport,I guess will cost us a fortune so just wanted to plan things more in advance. Kindly answer my queries and if I am wrong please explain and suggest me how to go about the process. Even if you manage to get British citizenship for your son and a passport, you need to check if you will have enough time to apply for an Indian visa for your son if you are not applying for his Indian passport.

Many thanks
SKJ
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

SKJMR

Post by SKJMR » Sat Feb 15, 2014 1:42 pm

i Thank you both for answering my queries so quickly.... now that i got some idea about it, i need to make a decision now about whether to apply for Indian passport with tier 1 dependent visa..and then apply for ILR for all 3 of us in order to make it to india for wedding.

man UKBA is ripping all visa applicants ..it is a lot of money.

just wondered if you can let me know clearly or roughly the time scale for the following

1. duration for registering a child as British citizen under section 1(3)..children born in UK...roughly how many weeks process it is?
2. once that is done how long will it take to get british passport....how many weeks?
3. indian visa...how many days
4. or even indian PIO card...how many days?

which ever takes lest time..PIO card or just Indian visa......just to make sure i need to be in India by feb last week...

i am hoping to get my ILR by DEC 31/2014... and to get my sons...registration/ British passport/indian visa/ pio card and be in india on or after 25 feb 2015..........is that possible....realistically ......

anybody who did all this before..please let me know....

SKJMR

Post by SKJMR » Sat Feb 15, 2014 3:18 pm

anybody know information in this regard, please reply..thanks in advance