ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Can two same sex non EU citizens enter civil partnership

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

amoghars
Newly Registered

Can two same sex non EU citizens enter civil partnership

Post by amoghars » Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:00 am

Hi,

I am a non EU national (Indian citizen) working in Germany for the last two years. I met another Indian guy on the net and we want to enter civil partnership. My prospective same sex partner visited me in Germany and we have become inseparable. Since, India doesn't recognise same sex partnership, we would like to enter civil partnership in Germany. However, myself and my partner are non EU citizens. What are the possibilities?

liksah

Re: Can two same gender non EU citizens enter civil partners

Post by liksah » Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:03 pm

Congrats! The procedure should be the same as if you are German/EU citizens.

Just follow the procedure for registering a civil partnership in Germany. India will not recognize your civil partnership but it will be recognized in countries that do recognize such a union.

You should get some kind of certificate/document with the info of your civil partnership, try to get it translated/apostilled for international acceptance - but again, it will only be recognized by countries that recognize such a union.

ALKB
Respected Guru
Germany

Re: Can two same gender non EU citizens enter civil partners

Post by ALKB » Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:24 am

amoghars wrote:Hi,

I am a non EU national (Indian citizen) working in Germany for the last two years. I met another Indian guy on the net and we want to enter civil partnership. My prospective same gender partner visited me in Germany and we have become inseparable. Since, India doesn't recognise same gender partnership, we would like to enter civil partnership in Germany. However, myself and my partner are non EU citizens. What are the possibilities?

First of all: congratulations!

Now, I don't want to be a downer but getting married to a non-EEA national in Germany is rather a bit difficult. Rules vary from country to country, please go to your local Standesamt, they should have a sheet with the requirements for India (at least the register offices in Berlin have these sheets for every nationality).

For a subcontinental country expect to be asked a whole lot of documents that will then be sent on to the German Embassy or Consulate nearest your home address in India, where the documents will be verified by Embassy staff. Yes, this might involve them travelling to your place of birth and interviewing family members, so, if your family does not know or does not support your plans, this might pose a problem.

There is also a rather hefty, non-refundable fee for this. I don't know the current fee for India, but for a neighbouring country it was several hundred Euro a few years back.

My advice is to look into Denmark. Much easier and cheaper.

I got married here:

http://www.toender.dk/Borger/In-English/Marriage.aspx

Your partner would need a Schengen visa.